The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is my steering rack fooked?

Iky

Hi, I had a look at the steering rack gaitors and removed them to check for leaks.

Driver side - A thick grey liquid started dribbling out.

Passenger side - A thin runny yellow liquid leaked out

Question - The driver side has the track with the 'teeth', could it be that the fluid leaking pass the seals has mixed with this ?

As for the yellow, maybe aged fluid which ahas gone pale?

Are these gaitors ment to be completely dry inside or are they like cv joints which have to have grease inside?

Iky.

I had the same issue, as Chris says it'll be the seals that are leaking, to refurbish them is complicated and time consuming and a new rack is expensive, usually the most cost effective fix is to source a good 2nd hand rack.

So It looks like new rack time :( The car has only done 55k I will probably get another rack for the time being and refurb mine when I can. Don't mind hard work, It's money i'm short of. :blink:

My Mrs has a good rack :D

You can't say that and not prove it! :D

Oh, I call Hovis if you do post photos. (Ive been dying to say that)

Cheers Nic.

Ive been offered a few racks via pm. Besides leaking, is there any other checks that I can do before buying? To make sure I get a decent one. :)

As Ive discovered that low mileage doesn't always mean its good.