The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto gear changing

Guest hamiltonsupra

Guest hamiltonsupra

I have read plenty on the operations of the auto box and think im pretty familiar with the varying functions.

What im not sure is, how best to "manually" change the gears.

For example when moving from L to 2 then D , should you press the top button when changing these gears and do you need to lift off accelarator ? Also how aggresively can you do this and is it recommended to use the box in this method rather than full auto (wear and tear issues). Im just a bit paranoid that i damage it by using the "manual" mode incorrectly.

Ive had tiptronic boxes before where i could keep my foot on the accelator and just rattle through the gears as quick as possible - but for some reason the Supra box doesnt feel like i should use it like this.

Whats the general opinion on best gear change practice ?(or dont bother and just leave in auto)

Guest hamiltonsupra

Thanks i have read that mate and it is excellant- but im more thinking on the lines of the physicalities ? (if that makes sense?)

When I use Manu on mine I pretty much leave my foot on the accelerator and push it up through the gears, I did trackdays like this no problem.

One thing I've never played with is the traction control, no sure if there would be any opertunities when it would be good to switch this off, and if this would be best used in Manu or Full Auto mode.

I use it in manu quite a bit, keep foot planted as said already. In manu you lose overdrive(4th) and to get into 1st you need to push the button in, I took this as toyota saying not to use it unless from a standing start. Like having to push the button to go back into reverse, its there to stop you accidently putting it in first or reverse while on a spirited drive. Its of little use anyway and causes a LOT of engine braking and in my opinion unnecessary drivetrain wear. That leaves you with 2nd and 3rd which is all you really need as the ratios are in just the right place.

Just my opinion and I have been wrong once before.

Rob

I use it in manu quite a bit, keep foot planted as said already. In manu you lose overdrive(4th) and to get into 1st you need to push the button in, I took this as toyota saying not to use it unless from a standing start. Like having to push the button to go back into reverse, its there to stop you accidently putting it in first or reverse while on a spirited drive. Its of little use anyway and causes a LOT of engine braking and in my opinion unnecessary drivetrain wear. That leaves you with 2nd and 3rd which is all you really need as the ratios are in just the right place.

Just my opinion and I have been wrong once before.

Rob

Seems about right.

The button only needs to be pushed to select L.