The mkiv Supra Owners Club

boost controller questions

Guest gilbert2088

Guest gilbert2088

hi,

This may seem simple to some, but from my experience if you don't ask the question you don't get the answers.

So i was wondering if you run a full de-cat with the 1 bar restriction plate in place then obviously you cant over boost as you are restricted to 1bar.

so if you have a electric boost controller in place can you remove the restriction plate with out over boosting?

any help will be awesome.

Thanks

Guest gilbert2088

thanks for that, ill have to get a controller and boost gauge then if i want to get any where.lol

so although the restriction plate stop over boost will it not stop you controlling it over 1 bar?

thanks for that, ill have to get a controller and boost gauge then if i want to get any where.lol

so although the restriction plate stop over boost will it not stop you controlling it over 1 bar?

Nope, the addition of the boost controller will allow you to increase the boost regardless of the restrictor plate.

Guest gilbert2088

yea i bet it is, i have gone from not driving it for the past month, and looking at selling it, to having the starter motor fixed and then one little blast round the block and im in love all over again. In regards to the boost controller is there a way i should head? i have always been fond of the HKS series. but have seen a lot of people with the GReddy controllers.

yea i bet it is, i have gone from not driving it for the past month, and looking at selling it, to having the starter motor fixed and then one little blast round the block and im in love all over again. In regards to the boost controller is there a way i should head? i have always been fond of the HKS series. but have seen a lot of people with the GReddy controllers.

Really depends on how much you want to spend.

The 'best' standalone electronic controllers ie. the ones with the most functions are the HKS EVC and the Blitz SBC i-Color Spec R. Both are very similar in terms of features and function, the Blitz is a bit more as it has a colour display, I've used both and preferred the HKS, just because the display was easier to see.

The 2 features that make these 'better' are:

1. Being able to map the boost settings against speed, throttle position, rpms, etc. helps maximise the boost through all gears and improve the response of the turbos.

2. The 'gain' feature makes a big difference to how fast the turbos spool up.

If you want something a bit cheaper then there's the Blitz SBC -ID III Spec R or Greddy PRofec B-Spec II. Both are similar in function, they both have the gain feature but not the ability to map boost against speed, rpm, etc.

Cheaper still but with limited features is the AEM TRU-BOOST, the display on these is good and they can be mounted in a gauge pod.

Guest gilbert2088

Thats helped me loads thanks.

As,

1. I think HKS is a altogether a wicked brand, and

2. Money is no object.

With the HKS unit is a pretty simple fit or is going to take a Mr know it all? I'm no mechanic but so far i have found most things pretty easy, crank pulley, fmic, decat, starter motor, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
I thought that the sbc-id could map boost against speed/rpm etc?

You have to buy the power meter with it according to my understanding...

:yeahthat: It can but as said you need the Power Meter to do this. The SBC i-Color has all the features of the SBC-id and Power Meter but is cheaper.

Nic, thanks for the info :)

I can't stretch to a new i-colour, do you know what the difference is between the sbc-id I, II and III. I have read that the only difference between the I and II is the colour of the backlighting? I assume that the sbc-id would be a good buy secondhand if its in full working order?

I'm on a budget but don't want to buy 'cheap' and pay again later

Thanks

Rob

I can't stretch to a new i-colour, do you know what the difference is between the sbc-id I, II and III. I have read that the only difference between the I and II is the colour of the backlighting? I assume that the sbc-id would be a good buy secondhand if its in full working order?

I'm on a budget but don't want to buy 'cheap' and pay again later

I think the only differences are in the design of the control unit/display, Blitz use the same Instruction Manual for them all so I'm fairly sure function wise they are the same. The SBC-id would be the EBC I'd chose at that price range.