The mkiv Supra Owners Club

v8 conversion

barneybrendan

from what i beleive when looking into it myself it was case of soarer belhousing, t5 box and welding a plate on to get it to all meet up. most important thing though is their will need to be a change in the management as well.

happy to stand corrected though.

if you like a have a copy of practical car tuning magazine which goes into great details about the v8 engine and gearboxes for it.

would be happy to send it to you if your happy to sort out some money for p&p. a very useful mag

Guest ugp

There was one for sale a few weeks ago, cost is about 1500 quid if you've already got the w58, it wont last long though, hence why I'm using the R154. I've spent nearly 3k doing it properly, and it isn't finished yet. Definitely not the route to take if you want it on the road quickly.

Edit: Unless you've got lots of money and can pay someone else to do it.

i thought he still owned it. i know Rogar who did a lot of work on it had a couple of other motors lined up for the v8 swap.

Im sure they sold it, iirc there was a thread a year or two back where i think it was a woman that had bought it, cant find it now, id like to buy that car.

I have one mated to the 5 na box had it running for 2.5 years now it only sees maximum abuse as a hooligan wagon

from what i beleive when looking into it myself it was case of soarer belhousing, t5 box and welding a plate on to get it to all meet up. most important thing though is their will need to be a change in the management as well.

happy to stand corrected though.

this is ALL incorrect

I've spent nearly 3k doing it properly
dont take this the wrong way but from your last update in your project thread you mentioned it doesnt all line up now? was your belhousing a CRS one? and flywheel?

ive been there befor too buddy that why i did it myself in the end . .

to state some facts iv learnt the hard way and others too:

the engine swap is straight forward (if u think it looks complicated dont even bother frankly its a 3/10 at most in dificulty for an engine conversion) its the manual swap thats the ball ache ..

Flywheels:

MR2 turbo/ non turbo is the right size and shape and ring gear works. it need s a new PCD drilling into it. . . . many have just slotted out the holes with success

Dellow / CRS (austrailia/ NZ) i had one, was made of the right stuff but god knows what clutch they expected me to use with it i had to got to a clutch shop and find somthing that would fit. and then still drill more holes in it and mount the ring gear

after that it did work tho

ryan G one apears to be working

Gearboxes:

W58 from a mk4 supra is required due to the shifter extention on it. a mk3 one is too short (althought suprash is using a mk3 box with a new hole in the transmission tunnel cut and a modified shifter)

I have made an internal gear shifter extention myself successfully and it has been done befor on in other countires (its time consuming and quite extensive fabrication)

R154 again needs to be from a soarer jzxxx chaser cresta mk2 etc for the extention

V161

behousings / adaptors

thor . . one of the originals but imo definatly not a proven system (search steeve dunn on drift works to see the problems) i dont know if it ever worked propperly

TTC - ryand G seems to have found this to be off center (iv seen this mentioned on other forums too) but otherwise provided a plate to bolt on any JZ belhousing (ie good for us jza80 owners)

Dellow / CRS new cast belhousings . . . i had one it fitted but required extensive work from me to make it work (i had to make a new fork hole, fork mount, fork mount length and drill and tap for the slave cyl)

quantum - i havnt seen or used this myself

I personally am using my own adaptor plate and mr2 turbo flywheel and everything else is mk4 supra w58

basicly if u want to save ur self lots of time and hassle and ballache just buy this

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?244834-1994-supra-v8...32-valve-quad-cam...&p=3108361#post3108361

pls escuse my spelling grammer and abreviations

Edited by H7ERO (see edit history)

Guest ugp

dont take this the wrong way but from your last update in your project thread you mentioned it doesnt all line up now?

My first bellhousing was a CRS one, the second from thailand (ebay), the third from quantum, and the 4th I got my old man to make for me (which now fits).

Flywheel I again had my old man make, as the two i tried previously 1 didnt fit the hub properly, 2nd was a redrilled 3sgte one, which there was no chance of me using!

Suprash is using an r154 not a w58.

Not just the engine swap though, its the wiring, the air con lines etc.

Guest ugp

Oh, just to mention the r154 can be used quite easily, just get suprash's guy to extend the shifter, mk4 w58 gearbox mount fits with the holes slotted.

I know suprash is using a r154 i i didnt say he used a w58 just a that his box is from a Mk3 supra and subsequently has the shifter circa 6 inches forward of the mk position) where i put it in the post thats confusing

using the r154 is just as easy as a w58 no harder or easier. (apart from EVERY gear change lol . . im exagerating but its no peach that r154 . . )

I bet ur dad did a much better job of it too (that auz/nz rubish shouldnt really be sold and definatly isnt worth the postage!!)

somehow i dont think anyone other than a drifter is going to be happy with his particular extention tho . . . (you couldnt use standard interior trim)

like i said the extention can be done the hard way too and extended linkage boxed in underneath the car just like toyotas version enableing you to fitit as standard

and all the lines are really easy in this swap so is the wiring . . . . its all similar generation toyota in the correct orientation hardly any fabrication is required and very few parts

after a few more people are on the road there will be suficient info / pics etc to make a sticky but its all well documented on other sites

please review the quantum one too as iv had no experience of that? form their site it looks like their r154 one is still in development . .

also i think you might have taken my comment the wrong way i only wanted to highlight that buying the stuff from aus/NZ where they claim to know what they are doing hasnt worked for you or me and countless others. So other members dot see this as a guaranteed path to success.

(ps will u sell any of your old bellhousings/ adaptors? iv got some buyers maybee)

Edited by H7ERO (see edit history)

Guest ugp
please review the quantum one too as iv had no experience of that? form their site it looks like their r154 one is still in development . .

also i think you might have taken my comment the wrong way i only wanted to highlight that buying the stuff from aus/NZ where they claim to know what they are doing hasnt worked for you or me and countless others. So other members dot see this as a guaranteed path to success.

(ps will u sell any of your old bellhousings/ adaptors? iv got some buyers maybee)

They both went in the skip. I wont sell sh!te on, dowels didnt align, bolt holes were off, surfaces weren't flush etc.

Your right about it being no bolt up conversion! It's the niggles thats taken me the time, not dropping the motor in.

Dellow and CRS have been selling their bellhousings for years, you'd think they would have them sorted by now. I'd heard that the CRS version was better than Dellow's, but it sounds as if that's faint praise.

Neil Griffiths at Rush Imports in Oz has a peerless reputation with the Antipodean Soarer guys (although his web site has never been up to much :)), not sure if he's still doing the W58 & R154 conversions, though.

Also might be worth checking on v-eight.com to see if anyone has found a decent option for converting a 1UZ to manual without having to re-engineer the kit.

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

^^ Exactly that. I've got 440's in mine, I believe Ryan has too. When I max them out, just chuck some aftermarket 7m units in.