The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT Worries.

Crouch

Well it's the time we all dread coming up really soon and time to start making plans! Here is where the problem is the car is sound but as with alot of us emisions are horrid (about 7x legal amounts during a recent check) now the question is this is there a way to have the car mapped to get under the regs or is there somewhere that i can buy a 4" cat for test purposes?

so that we know the lay of the land i have 1000cc injectors and AEM EMS all running 612hp on high boost (550hp low). Also i've been told that they will pass the car for noise but should i plumb the screamer pipe back in will this help emissions?

I'm sure i'm not the only one thats had this problem so how did you do it? Any and all help will be appreciated as always

Gary Crouch

Hi Gary, I just had mine MOT'd with no cats running full BPU, WHAT i do is pour a bottle of forte fuel addative in about quarter of a tank of fuel and take it for a quik run at various speeds, seems to do the trick for me, might be different for you running those big injectors though,I'am sure some of the guys will have some advice for you,where about in fife are you from I'am from Kennoway with the discreet casrtol supra lol.

Hi Gary, I just had mine MOT'd with no cats running full BPU, WHAT i do is pour a bottle of forte fuel addative in about quarter of a tank of fuel and take it for a quik run at various speeds, seems to do the trick for me, might be different for you running those big injectors though,I'am sure some of the guys will have some advice for you,where about in fife are you from I'am from Kennoway with the discreet casrtol supra lol.

Discreet is the last thing i'd call your car nige ;)

Hey nige i'm from Dunfermline! think i seen your car before at Knockhill september i think! Anyway i'll give it a go but think that'll just clear a little bit crud and not sort the problem entirely. Is it safe with additives i've heard loads of problems with them perishing rubber seals and effecting running?

I'd be willing to use a more lax place for MOT but don't know which ones are more relaxed in these matters!

I'd be willing to use a more lax place for MOT but don't know which ones are more relaxed in these matters!

This is something I also need to find out about...will need to have a word with Geo to see where he takes his near us!?

Hey nige i'm from Dunfermline! think i seen your car before at Knockhill september i think! Anyway i'll give it a go but think that'll just clear a little bit crud and not sort the problem entirely. Is it safe with additives i've heard loads of problems with them perishing rubber seals and effecting running?

Safe to use never had a problem with seals etc, it just get rid of all the shit at mot time lol.

Safe to use never had a problem with seals etc, it just get rid of all the shit at mot time lol.

Excellent i'll give it a bash mate see how she does but at the moment i'm thinking that iether the car will need re-mapped to get under the levels required or the car will unfortunatly be taken of the road for a while so that i can get a standard engine in it MOT it and swap back to the new engine i'm doing as a project just now (not that it will be better but i can try)

It may not run worth a shit but it may well be possible to map it for emissions, some MOT testers relax when you tell them this, ie tnhey can explain it ran funny but passed and you then plugged a lap top in and it ran fine as you drove off !!!!!