The mkiv Supra Owners Club

oil stem valve seals?

robby246

Depends if they do them with the head on, or take the head off. Head off may be about £1000 if it's a TT and they do it properly by renewing all the turbo gaskets et cetera. Head on about £350 to £500 depending on labour rate and if they use genuine Toyota valve stem seals (you would be mad to use anything off Ebay....).

yeh its a tt, i was gunna get the uprated seals off whifbitz then take it somewhere for them to sort it, can it be done pretty simply by keeping the head on then? should i be looking at having the head off way tho or is it just as good to do it with the head on?

If you do it with the head on you just have to assume the valve seats and guides are OK. With the head off you can attend to those if needed, after examination. I agree with Dunk, it's a tricky job, head on or off, and if you drop a collet down the oil drain aways, well.....

yeh its a tt, i was gunna get the uprated seals off whifbitz then take it somewhere for them to sort it, can it be done pretty simply by keeping the head on then? should i be looking at having the head off way tho or is it just as good to do it with the head on?

I'd do it with the head off, I'd also use genuine Toyota parts, no need for so called 'uprated' parts. Toyota do a complete gasket and seal kit which includes everything you'll need, part number below.

04112-46056 Valve Grind Kit

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/9239/picture1uo5.png

I'm with Chris on this. I've recently dismantled my engine and found a few gremlins hiding in there. Your valve seats will probably benefit from a bit of lapping and renewing the gaskets on the head is never going to hurt. It's a painfully tedious job with the head off, let alone on. The seals themselves will likely perish slightly on removing them. You don't want that rubbish in your engine let alone a collet!!

cheers for that is that everything u need? do u know wot sorta cost it is for the kit?

That'll cover all the gaskets and seals you need, they'll be other bits and pieces worth renewing at the same time such as new breather hoses, head bolts, belts/tensioners, service parts, etc.

wow! just this "04112-46056 Valve Grind Kit" from Toyota and that's all needed for the valve stems replacement job? in this case, i'll order the part for my UK-spec too... thanks Nic! :)

That's the part number for a non-VVTi 2JZ-GTE, double check if the UK spec is the same number or not.