The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Automatic non turbo to manual turbo conversion

Guest Lewis_-w

Guest Lewis_-w

Hi guys, I have 3 celica gt4s at the moment and fancy a change. Can some body tell me what's needed to do the above conversion? Is it a straight forward one? If not how much would a recommended garage charge to do it?

I know other things are different too but they can be done at a later date.

Thanks in advance.

what are you looking to do change a TT auto to a TT6 if so you can kiss off 2k just for the6 speed box. and that is just the start of the bits, you need clutch, transmission, tunnel, pedals etc etc if you are looking to convert to a w58 5 speed box then the box is alot cheaper.

the 5 speed box will not last very long with TT power so i assume you mean you want to do a NA conversion, and prices have dropped so much in the past few months you may as well just buy a 5speed. unless you want to do the conversion on a aerotop? and if so get in contact with one of the traders on here they will sort you out :)

EDIT just seen above it will not last long mate so you will have to make sure you have a light right foot through the low gears.

It would be the 5 speed as I've seen the prices of the 6 speed.

Wouldn't last long at all if you went BPU, stock power it would be 'ok' but 380bhp plus is a no no.

Engine conversion would be about £2k-£2.5k iirc, manual conversion (for 5 speed) probably about £500

Guest Lewis_-w

Hi it would be on a aerotop. I would want about 400bhp, I don't plan on forging etc. I could live with 2.5k to 3k all In for the conversion. But you got me worried now about this chocolate 5 speed box lol.

As said the 5spd is not as strong at the 6spd and many have not been able to cope with TT power levels. If you are aiming for 400hp then you'd really need a 6spd gearbox.

IMO if you want a manual TT the sensible and probably the cheapest option in the long run - an NA-TT will never command the same resale value as a genuine TT and may be difficult to sell on - would be to buy a genuine manual TT.

Hi it would be on a aerotop. I would want about 400bhp, I don't plan on forging etc. I could live with 2.5k to 3k all In for the conversion. But you got me worried now about this chocolate 5 speed box lol.

5-speed box won't last at 400bhp, you would need the 6-speed or R154.

I know what your saying nic. I just can't justify 15k for a manual tt aerotop.

Not sure if you're aware but there were never any factory built RHD manual aero TT's, any that are available have had a manual conversion and will command a premium. Have you tried the autobox, they are very good and there have been many anti-auto Supra converts who love them? You can pick up a decent auto aero TT relatively cheap now, buying one of these and doing a 6spd or R154 5spd conversion could be an option.

I'd agree, settle for a factory built auto TT aerotop. The things are that floppy it's pointless trying to make them into a decent track toy, so settle for posing and a slush box, and save the money :) The autos are actually a lot nicer to drive than the six speed manuals, IMO, the Getrag is an agricultural old thing. The five speeds would be on a wing and a prayer. I have seen several of the "cheaper" conversions, to do one properly will cost a lot. Far better to buy something factory built, and capitulate on the spec.

Guest Lewis_-w

I wasn't aware nic. I can live with paying 2.5k for the conversion if that's the price to go from a auto non turbo to a manual turbo.

• 2 weeks later...