The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My new level of car security :)

ManwithSupra

As we all know sometimes we need to leave our pride and joy out in the open (car parks etc) only for inbreds to come and try and ruin our day by damaging our cars etc, I for one have been a victim of this type of mind numbing stupidity a few times now.

Each of these times the police have done nothing to recitfy the problem or to find out who did it in the first place, even if there is CCTV footage of the incident.

As most public CCTV camera's are owned by the council or a 3rd party secuirty company by the time you have requested footage its either too late or they just cant be bothered to get it for you.

So i have decided in addition to my Clifford Alram with warn away zone, tilt sensor and shock sensor I have put a motion dection camera inside my Supra, this will only start recording when it senses movement in the field of vision, It has a fish eye lens which means it sees around 85% of all the glass in the car from where its currently postioned (and the only way you can get to my car is from the front) so if someone was to come and damage my car i should be able to capture his car (if he hit me) face and or clothing build etc.

Now the police probably wont do anything even if i got footage of an incident but at least i know who i will need to look out for!! ;)

Here is a clip of the inside of the car (its pretty unintresting but you will see how it activates remains recording for 2 mins) it also records sound the time and date which is useful too.

BxV_Ubg3_n0

The highest resolution is 720p and when triggered the camera will film for 2 minutes (this can be extended to 5 and 10 mins as well i felt 2 mins is good enough) the unit also boasts a very low level light feature (a little grainy) but its good if you are parked in a lit car park (not so good in pitch black but still something is better than nothing).

Now all i need to do is find my weights equipment and beef up a bit :D

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

It’s just basically one of these...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Vehicle-Dashboard-Camera-Recorder-DVR-Motion-Detect-/310249966743?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item483c56cc97

Mounted (currently taped on a L bracket - will make a proper mount tomorrow) on to the top of my Vibe 8" sub enclosure and currently temporarily using a Halfords Power pack (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_180830_langId_-1_categoryId_165719) so it does not wear out the car battery (which I doubt it would anyway).

So all in all under £150

Do you have to turn it on everytime you get out of the car?

No you can just leave it running if you wish, as it will start to record over the oldest recorded clips once the SD card memory is full.

So the most current event will be saved for a while, and of course the larger the SD card the more time you can keep a history.

Of course you can switch it off when driving and then pop it back on when you want the camera to do its job, it stores the settings so as soon as its switched on it is armed and then any movement detection it will start recording.

FYI a 2min clip is around 100Mb @ 720p and there are lower resolutions to choose from as well which will extend the number of clips it will do until it starts to rewrite :)

How close does said person need to be before it activates. I'm pretty interested in the system

Pretty far away, from the other test clips i checked it caught a man jogging up the hill probably 50-60ft away.

EDIT : Let me rephrase that as i misread your post.

It activated when it caught a man jogging up the hill probably 50-60ft away...

So anything less then 50ft away it would activate i would imagine :)

I like the idea of it.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a camera that i can put in the car for when it gets put in for MOT's.

I've still to find a garage I completely trust up here with my car.

Ah cool, yeah mine will be left on for MOT's & Servicing etc as well :)

You can switch the motion sensing off and just have it record constantly however you have to press a button to do that.

Hmmm... Where's Heckler :)

There should be a way to connect it with a circuit to the ignition (or the alarm feed) so that it turns on when ignition off (or alarm activated) and vice versa. That way it's totally auto. It would do my nut to have to turn it on and off all the time, and leaving it on will run the battery down pronto as it will be on permenantly while driving.

Will the range not be too wide for the MOT with all the people wandering around your car all day. I was thinking only to turn on when someone sits n the drivers seat type thing

Hmmm yeah probably, not sure how you would get around that really, the only thing i can think of is to somehow wire the power switch on the unit to your ignition on your car so when your car is started it powers on the unit and starts recording.