The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A supra intake idea.....

Migs

Untitled.png

Red....filter and pipework

Green....electric supercharger

Blue...cold air feed

Yellow...pressure release

electric superchargers don't work as well due to the pressure slowing the blades and also restricting air entering threw. Idea is where I install a twin pipe. 1 with the supercharger and the other with air filter,leading also to a cold air feed ,that way the air from the filter side is as normal with no restrictions ,whilst the supercharger adds more boost..

Edited by Migs (see edit history)

[ATTACH]131832[/ATTACH]

Blue...cold air feed

electric superchargers don't work as well due to the pressure slowing the blades and also restricting air entering threw. Idea is where I install a twin pipe. 1 with the supercharger and the other with air filter,leading also to a cold air feed ,that way the air from the filter side is as normal with no restrictions ,whilst the supercharger adds more boost..

electric supercharger, AKA ebay hairdryer... dont do it!

well i had no idea what everyone was taliking about (i thought migs was talking about a supercharger conversion) done my homework and the results are as follows............electric supercharges are gay.

Sorry mate,good effort but a defo no no.Its a supra! less cheese and more class!

Welcome by the way

[ATTACH]131832[/ATTACH]

Blue...cold air feed

dude before you get flamed to shit , its not worth doing, they dont work and there a gimick , with the n/a your best of staying with the standard airbox with a good quality panel filter , and maybe even some form of cold air feed into the standard box , but apart from that you will just lose power , but of course your do what makes you happy

dan

Okay serious answer :)

*If* an *electric supercharger* could flow enough air to make positive intake pressure - which they can't - with an airfilter (ie. a big hole) after the *supercharger* where is the air going to go?

You have a 3.0L engine spinning at thousands of rpm, it is ingesting a huge volume of air every minute, now stick a 12v electric motor attached to a plastic fan in the intake. The motor/fan would never be powerful enough to force more air into the intake, all it would do is restrict the airflow.

Even if there was a 12v electric motor efficient enough to drive a fan that could pressurise the intake, where is the energy to drive the fan coming from? Answer the alternator, which in turn is powered by the engine. Draw more power from the alternator, you put more load on the engine and you cancel out any additional power made by the *electric supercharger*.

If you see some revolutionary Ebay product claiming magical power increases or fuel savings, ask yourself 'if these things really work why don't car manufacturers fit them as standard'?

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Lol...did u guys see my image. Yet again the electric supercharger is not restricting the airflow, due to the twin pipe. The supercharger is only adding more air in to the engine especially at stand by..the idea is for better airflow......yes I do know electric superchargers are shit, dose not have the power and restricts the air flow. As I said it's an idea.. The only way to prove this is to try it, as I don't think it's been done, I def don't think it will make a difference bhp, but should provide...hopefully... A better take off.....

Lol...did u guys see my image. Yet again the electric supercharger is not restricting the airflow, due to the twin pipe. The supercharger is only adding more air in to the engine especially at stand by..the idea is for better airflow......yes I do know electric superchargers are shit, dose not have the power and restricts the air flow. As I said it's an idea.. The only way to prove this is to try it, as I don't think it's been done, I def don't think it will make a difference bhp, but should provide...hopefully... A better take off.....

Give it a go then, im looking forward to the results :D

lol!

The theory is sound, I'll give you that....

BUT as has been said, the units simply can't flow enough pressure. There was a company a while back 'Thomas Knight' seems to ring a bell, that actually made a practical electrical supercharger, but it ran silly high current, resulting in large batteries or alternatively 72v feeds etc.

It is possible, but the units you buy from ebay etc, are just not man enough.....

Another HUGE problem, the cheapy ones have a habit of destroying themselves by all accounts and you really don't want bits of that going into your air intake.....

If you could get a decent electric supercharger, you could setup a KERS style system, but you are then dealing with the additional weight of batteries etc....

If you want to get REALLY wacky, why not get a mini cooper supercharger or something like that, and strap a small 50cc/125cc engine to it, and use that rather... (and yes I have thought about it hahahaha)

EDIT : It was thomas knight, that's it.... and a quick look shows that the electrical supercharger he sells which has been 'proven' runs around 15000W, yup 15kw!!! work that out, that is a LOT of juice, and you will be cooking batteries, loading up alternators and all sorts.... Simple maths, 15000w/12v.... = 1250A THATS A LOT!!!!! so if you step up to 72v which would require an alternator change to a twin voltage job still requires 208A

Thomas Knight unit.... Compare this to the ones you will see elsewhere, this is a real unit

In a nutshell, what the Thomas Knight unit is....

3 starter motors rewound for up to 6.5hp each and balanced to spin at 12000rpm (That's a tricky one...), also something like this won't give you very long run time due to the heat on the motors. They are then simply spinning an eaton supercharger. You would need a battery bank capable of providing this sort of power, and that means weight which are dragging around when not using it.

As I said, theory is sound, practically, it is a LOT of work and major rethink. You would also need to have some sort of wacky ECU that can cope with the burst of power and then swap back to a normal map when your 15 seconds is up.

Edited by JustGav (see edit history)

The theory is only sound in the fact that the intake in the diagram now has two apertures to feed airflow, however electric supercharger aside:eyebrows: the two apertures still only feed one intake, so negating any advantage, as no matter how much air you can get into the two intakes, its ultimately limited by the single intake pipework and throttle diameter.

i like it when people think of things outside the box, even if this thaught is not going to work , keep thinking one day you might dream up a diamond that will land you in history. remember the engine itself was just a waky idea once .

take all the info you have learnd from this attempt and get back to the drawing board.

This idea can't work as any pressure the supercharger might make will be equalised by the ambient air coming in through the air filter. You would only be putting a restriction in the intake when the supercharger can't spin its blades quick enough :)

i had a plan one of making a kers type system to eliminate lag once. it would involve a 240v inverter a 240v motor and some pullys , short burst of power low down to help pull up onto boost . was a nice thaught but i donyt think i could ever make it work so i canned the idea