The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS Titanium Race Exhaust?

RyanSteel

Hey people, I am about to order an exhaust for my Jap Spec 1993 TT. Everything is still stock on my car. I had a look at the HKS Titanium Race exhaust 102mm diameter piping. NOT THE HKS CARBON TITANIUM EXHAUST. Will this exhaust suite my application? And should I go for a 75mm, 80mm or 90mm downpipe? I am going to run stock turbos for now. Just having a Dastek Unichip fitted and remapped. Will upgrade the fuel pump with some new plugs aswell......... I am also aware that I would be needing a restrictor ring :)

Seems a very expensive option?

Are you completing any other weight saving activities? If this is part of a full weight loss program then I understand.

Might be worth checking out Whifbitz as Paul has a titanium version of one of his exhausts on his race car and I'm sure it will be price competitive with the HKS one.

As for downpipe sizes, you will need someone with better Supra knowledge than me to answer that one.

@Mooret, all i am wanting is a high power exhaust system which is extremeley loud. As I understand, some of the HKS exausts are not fully stainless. Eventhough they are marketing them as fully stainless. It is pointless having a 75mm exhaust on a Supra. I would reckon I should go for 80mm or higher. Basically all that I am after, is the following:

1) As loud a possible

2) Minimun bends

3) Less restriction possible

4) One which would give the most HP gain possible

I also had a look at the HKS Carbon Ti exhaust which does not look bad. But I am wanting to do a big single turbo conversion one day. So I want to make the right descision at first hand. And same with the down pipe......:)

Expensive exhaust but it'll be fine on your car

As for downpipe when you go single turbo you'll need a different downpipe anyway, but i'd go for a 2.5" or 3" d/p for Bpu if you're increasing boost and you'll need a restrictor ring - go for a 1bar ring and get a boost controller if you want to up the boost

Just out of curiosity what made you go for the Dastek chip instead of say an AEM FIC or an emanage?

@Aman00123, I am still not all getting the idea with the restrictor ring. The guy who is going to do my chip, is very well known in South Africa. He said with the chip, he can control both turbos' boost at any level or rpm range when they spool. I am not yet going to fit a boost control, I want it to be fixed for now. So if he can control both turbos' boost, why fit a restrictor ring? Cause we are aiming to run both turbos at about 1.1 or 1.2 bar boost. The reason for the "Unichip" is the following: The chip gets spliced into my original wiring at the ECU, the parameters is fully controleable & adjustable. For the complete chip, fitted, installed & dyno would cost me about R4500.00 (South African Rand), in others words, more or less 640 USD or 392 Pound. I know of none here in South Africa who can tune FC Commander or AEM. Maybe there are, but who knows??? Im not going to take the risk. This is the only reason why I can not go for something else :) Hope it makes sense?

Yea makes sense to me bud - i was just curious :)

Well if the Dastek controls boost (i.e. it's your boost controller) then you should be fine, as long as it can limit the boost aswell...

The reason people fit restrictor rings is that when you do a double decat there is a lot less restriction on the airflow meaning the turbo's can spin a lot more freely and so boost can go higher than the 'safe' limits of the turbo's. I'm not sure but I don't think an ECU can limit boost, it can just increase it, with a single turbo this is achieved using an external wastegate but on the stock twins it is cheaper and easier to use the restrictor ring

Hope that helps :)

@Amam00123, Well I am not sure if it can limit the boost. I will speak to my tuner on Tuesday and ask him. We are also going to bypass the MAP sensor wiring going from the MAP sensor to the ECU, to prevent the "boost protection" above 1 bar boost & fit an external injector driver for better control. The Dastek Uniq Chip is capable to manage all this. So I will ask my tuner about the limit boost :)........And thanks for all the technical information

Yes you are correct, the bypass is just for the fuel cut. I would need a HKS speed limiter defencer aswell, cause im running out at 180 km/h in 4th gear already he he :)

The car is stock, not sure what boost I am running, I have a cold air induction & an aftermarket mid pipe running from after the mid cat to ther rear of the car. Had the car on the dyno last week, it pushed out 314hp with 407nm Torque. Don't think its bad at all, because we are running 95 unleaded fuel with an estimate 88 ron rating :( :( Yeah I know it sux. My tuner has his own mixture that we are going to use, You add 300ml octane booster to 60L of fuel, then you get "x" amount. Not sure what the end result is, but he says it makes a huge difference by uping the octane rating. :)

@Aman00123, I am still not all getting the idea with the restrictor ring. The guy who is going to do my chip, is very well known in South Africa. He said with the chip, he can control both turbos' boost at any level or rpm range when they spool. I am not yet going to fit a boost control, I want it to be fixed for now. So if he can control both turbos' boost, why fit a restrictor ring?

The guy obviously doesn't know Supras very well. It doesn't matter what ECU you have fitted the wastegate on the J-spec turbos just cannot flow sufficient exhaust gasses to properly regulate the boost levels when both cats are removed, it's just physically too small. This is why a restrictor ring is used, it reduces the exhaust flow - as the cats do on a stock car - to keep boost pressures to a safe level.

Click here for full explanation -> BPU

As I understand, some of the HKS exausts are not fully stainless.

The HKS Silent Hi-Power Exhaust is 100% stainless steel, the HKS Hi-Power has stainless steel back box and tail pipe, the pipe from back box forward is mild steel. Both exhausts are identical in design and despite the name are both quite loud.

If you can afford it then I'd go for a full titanium exhaust as they are a fraction of the weight of stainless steel. Saying that Titanium exhausts use very thin walled piping so make sure there is good ground clearance, as they can be prone to cracking if grounded. Straight exhaust designs have less ground clearance compared to an exhaust designed to hug the underside of the car by following the curves of the stock exhaust. I'm not familiar with the HKS Titanium exhausts as they are they are a HKS USA model only but the combination of a straight design, large diameter piping and titanium will not be good for ground clearance.

At BPU levels the diameter of the exhaust and whether the exhaust is straight or curved will make no difference in performance as you will need a restrictor ring whatever exhaust is fitted.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

@Nick, thank you for all our info. I will then make sure I get the restrictor ring aswell. Is it really worth going for the HKS Titanium compared to the HKS Carbon Ti? And I was thinking of getting a Rod Millen downpipe, but not to sure if it would work with the HKS exhausts, bacause as I read, the HKS Downpipes are the only ones that only removes the first CAT and not the second CAT. So still confused :(

Yes there are only 2 x Supra TT's running around here in our area. The others are about 1200km away from me......

@Nick, thank you for all our info. I will then make sure I get the restrictor ring aswell. Is it really worth going for the HKS Titanium compared to the HKS Carbon Ti? And I was thinking of getting a Rod Millen downpipe, but not to sure if it would work with the HKS exhausts, bacause as I read, the HKS Downpipes are the only ones that only removes the first CAT and not the second CAT. So still confused :(

Yes there are only 2 x Supra TT's running around here in our area. The others are about 1200km away from me......

As I say I don't really know the HKS USA exhaust models, but provided they use the stock bolted flange design and not a v-band flange they will connect to any 2nd decat pipe.

The Rod Millen decat pipe is a single pipe that replaces both the 1st and 2nd catalytic convertors, if the decat pipe is designed to fit a US Supra it will not fit a J-spec Supra as the flange that connects to the turbos is different. Japanese branded decat pipes and those made in the UK by traders on here usually have 2 separate pipes to replace each cat (rather than one pipe to replace both). It'd be better buying from one of UK forum traders as they will be able to supply the J-spec decat pipes you need.

Rod Millen decat pipe/stock 1st & 2nd cats

1st & 2nd decat pipes/stock 1st & 2nd cats

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Just had a look on the web link, the Megan Downpipe Toyota Supra MKIV 93-98 Turbo is a single decat pipe that replaces both the 1st and 2nd cats, if this is designed for a US Supra it won't fit your car. The HKS Downpipe Toyota Supra Turbo 93-98 is just a 1st decat pipe, it connects between the turbos and the 2nd cat.

Forum traders Paul Whiffin and Chris Wilson could both supply J-spec decat pipes if needed.

@Nic thanks for the pic. This is also how I understand it. Well, I order the parts to fit a Jap spec through my importer, so I believe everything would be fine. Was just wondering between 2 x different exhausts. The HKS Ti Race 4" and the HKS Carbon Titanium Exhaust.............fitted to the Rod Millen downpipe. Here are 2 x links to the different ones:

http://www.importparts.co.za/catalog/p29803/HKS-Titanium-Racing-Muffler-Exhaust-Toyota-Supra-T-93-98/product_info.html

http://www.importparts.co.za/catalog/p29802/HKS-Carbon-Titanium-Exhaust-Toyota-Supra-Turbo-93-98/product_info.html

:)

Depends what you want really both are very good quality.

If staying with the stock turbos or a moderately sized single turbo I'd personally go for an exhaust with 3" piping for better ground clearance (I use to run a 4" downpipe & mid pipe with v-band flange on my single and it was a PITA for grounding on speed humps). You'd only need a 4" exhaust if running a big turbo(s) and big hp. A bigger diameter exhaust will be louder, but not necessarily make any more hp.

Yes I already have a big problem with ground clearance, I have the Toms Advox suspension fitted with 18's. My catback pipe is 85mm in diammeter now, but it scrapes when I go over a bump :(. Well, I am going to do a big single turbo upgrade in the future. So I was thinking to go for a 3" downpipe which would be appropriate for now and get the right exhaust one time so its not necessary to upgrade the exhaust when I do a big single turbo conversion one day. And the reason for running a bigger exhaust now is for the loudness :)..........

Yes I already have a big problem with ground clearance, I have the Toms Advox suspension fitted with 18's. My catback pipe is 85mm in diammeter now, but it scrapes when I go over a bump :(. Well, I am going to do a big single turbo upgrade in the future. So I was thinking to go for a 3" downpipe which would be appropriate for now and get the right exhaust one time so its not necessary to upgrade the exhaust when I do a big single turbo conversion one day. And the reason for running a bigger exhaust now is for the loudness :)..........

If you want loudness, get a 3" exhaust fabricated without a back box.

I personally find loud exhausts very tiresome after around 3 seconds of driving, give me a quietish exhaust with a sweet note to it any day. I loved my Greddy Ti-R titanium exhaust, quiet but pleasantly tuneful at WOT :) Vid HERE (try to ignore the rattly PAS bearing in the background :) )

@Aman00123, I am still not all getting the idea with the restrictor ring. The guy who is going to do my chip, is very well known in South Africa. He said with the chip, he can control both turbos' boost at any level or rpm range when they spool. I am not yet going to fit a boost control, I want it to be fixed for now. So if he can control both turbos' boost, why fit a restrictor ring? Cause we are aiming to run both turbos at about 1.1 or 1.2 bar boost. The reason for the "Unichip" is the following: The chip gets spliced into my original wiring at the ECU, the parameters is fully controleable & adjustable. For the complete chip, fitted, installed & dyno would cost me about R4500.00 (South African Rand), in others words, more or less 640 USD or 392 Pound. I know of none here in South Africa who can tune FC Commander or AEM. Maybe there are, but who knows??? Im not going to take the risk. This is the only reason why I can not go for something else :) Hope it makes sense?

As far as I know the Unichip is just fuel and timing control, never heard of it being able to control boost.. As Nic mentioned, the restrictor is required for physical restriction to hold the boost it check...

I am not sure of the skill of SA tuners to map these cars, hence I am sticking to the stock ECU when I import my car back to SA... If I do go single, I will get NXgen to map the car with the HKS Fcon VPRO (they are HKS agents) or use AEM EMS2 and map directly with AEM via email...