The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Done some jobs on the supra today

richarde7927

Well i finally had some free time today ,So i got the supra in the unit and got to work on changing the coil pack plugs that had all broken up . That job was nice and easy so at the same time i through i would change the plugs . Well not one of them was tight i could undo all 6 plug by hand no ratchet need So when i refited the new ones i gave them a go nip up .

Then after the rolling road day a few weeks ago i start to loose boost and this week i have been down to 0.38 of a bar , so that was my second job to find out why ,

Started off with the intercooler pipes and fittings no leaks there , anyway to cut a long story short there was a massive leak in the vac pipe running into the car for the boost controller and my boost gauge , Some knob had not got a long enough pipe so they fitted a t piece 2/3 of the way along and then just got some other pipe to finish off into the car and on the 3rd side of the t piece just used some pipe and just put a knot in it and pushed it into the inner wing this is where the leak was , i replace the hole pipe and the car is back to full working order

This must have been a problem from the second i had the car, now its so differant to drive , the second turbo used to cut in at 4200 rpm and now it comes in at 5000 rpm and the mid range is so mush stronger The boost control has gone from 60% duty to 32% duty as well to run 1.2 bar and it has never been that low .

All in all a great days work all she needs now is a clean and a oil and filter change and she is all ready for the shows

Rich.

It was a 4k to 4.2k , But after the work today its has moved to just under 5k . the first time i ran it on the dyno i let off and 4.5k thinking the second turbo was not working , i keeped my foot in on the second run and like i say the second turbo kicked in just under 5k has anyone got any ideas on what this could be . As i went over everything today and i sorted out all the problems i know of or i could find ,So im not sure where to start looking , As up to a minute ago i thought i had got the car 100% sorted .

Rich

Which gear where you in while testing it (also is it auto or manual)?

First thoughts would be a lazy VSV or the pre-spool not working correctly, but that would depend on which gear you meaured the 5k rpm in. Was it at 1.2 bar at 5k, or was the turbo only coming online then? Also, was there a big dip in the torque while it went through the sequential transition?

Edit: Sorry, didn't mean to bring a downer on your hard work, but when something doesn't seem right I think it's best just to mention it

I ran the car in 5th the car is a 6 speed manual . I was at fully boost 1.2 bar at 5k . its just as if the push of the second turbo has moved up the rev range by about 600 rpm . As for the torque ill have a look tomorrow on the computer and see .

Dont worry mate if there is something wrong i would rather know so can get it sorted , just hard to think what would course this problem with the work i have done today as its only been like this since i did the work today .

Rich.

I ran the car in 5th the car is a 6 speed manual . I was at fully boost 1.2 bar at 5k . its just as if the push of the second turbo has moved up the rev range by about 600 rpm . As for the torque ill have a look tomorrow on the computer and see .

Hmm, 5th gear should easily get 1.2 bar by 4k rpm, this may be a little more troublesome as it rules out a pre-spool issue. Was the boost level rock solid at 1.2 bar from 5k to redline - i.e. no drop off in boost?

Quite a telling test could be to run the can in 2nd gear and see where 1.2 bar comes in. I.e. if it's significantly further up the rev range.

It could well still be a leak, or a plumbing issue, at least that's what I'm hoping it is.

Hmm, 5th gear should easily get 1.2 bar by 4k rpm, this may be a little more troublesome as it rules out a pre-spool issue. Was the boost level rock solid at 1.2 bar from 5k to redline - i.e. no drop off in boost?

Quite a telling test could be to run the can in 2nd gear and see where 1.2 bar comes in. I.e. if it's significantly further up the rev range.

It could well still be a leak, or a plumbing issue, at least that's what I'm hoping it is.

Ill get on to this today if i get 5 mins ,the boost is solid right to the red line

Ill see where the 2nd turbo cuts in , in 2nd gear on the run to work this morning .

I no someone with a smoke leak tester ill get that on the engine it should answer if there is a leak problem .As soon as i know anything ill post up my findings .

Rich.