The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do I buy a Supra TT auto....?

Guest Goughy

Guest Goughy

Ok Guys, you may have seen tooquicktostop's Supra in classifieds...well I am looking at buying it but because I have never owned a supra (or even driven one) I am finding it difficult to decide what to do!!

I drive a 325 compact so I have driven rear wheel drive cars etc...Im not worried about the power or the car itself but I want to know what is it like to own one?

Do you ever worry about something breaking (obviously they are quite old cars now), do you use the supra as a day to day car (fuel costs)? Do most people know the car inside out or are you taking it to the garage to get serviced/fixed etc?

See I was considering an 2006 R32 or a BMW 130 but I just cant decide!! aaghhgh!

P.S Please dont go on about the Auto/Manual - I have read all the comments on the other thread :)

Guest Andy Bird

Ive had new cars five series one year old, monaro vxr six.months old etc. . .

Im happy.in my 16 year old Supra and if it breaks its peanuts to repair!

Do.it!!!

if it breaks its peanuts to repair!

They can be a real moneypit

:)

You will get very varied opinions, We use ours as a daily runaround and it suits us great. You can fix them on the cheap or throw big money at them. I just try and be sensible and fix it if it breaks and try and upgrade at the same time.

good luck

Guest Andy Bird
:)

You will get very varied opinions, We use ours as a daily runaround and it suits us great. You can fix them on the cheap or throw big money at them. I just try and be sensible and fix it if it breaks and try and upgrade at the same time.

good luck

its a matter of opinion.

engine on the monaro was £5k geabox £3-4k supra even for a turbo engine will cost you £1k an NA will cost £200!

depends what you are used to I suppose.

plus simpleness, I can do an NA engine swap in a day easy with lots of tea breaks! TT probably take a weekend

my supras been a money pit over the last 2.5 years spent thousands on it but i wouldnt change it at all the drive,look of it the looks you get when your in it its a well loved car by many just the other day i had a father showing his son my supra its a great feeling

Supra TT auto is just as good as a 6-speed manual if not faster. i'm a proud owner of a '95 Supra TT auto for 8 satisfying years now and loving it more each day. :)

the fact is, it doesn't have that outdated look and feel unlike Mitsubishi GTO, Fairlady 300ZX or even NSX. if your budget is right, grab a Supra TT by all means!

TBH, if you are worried about running costs and maintaining it, think long and hard. The mkiv was a high end car and still is. This is reflected in the cost of parts. Fuel wise its a 3.0l TT engine so it was never going to be great on fuel compared to other models.

As for getting old, yes they are but what you need to think about is that these were not cars just chucked together, in some ways they are over engineered and this is a bonus. The build quality is spot on, if you get a mkiv that has been well maintained then you should be ok.

Guest Goughy

I think if I do go for it then it will be driven maybe once or twice a week and then on the weekends. It just means that I need to get another car as well as the supra.

One other thing I was thinking as well is that if I have the supra for another year or two, am I going to struggle to sell it afterwards because fuel prices will be probably nearer £2...? Somebody said that the value of these has gone down over the last 6 months or so? Thats probaby due to fuel prices imo

I think my biggest worry is that if I buy one, I either will lose loads of money when i come to sell or have to pay hundreds to keep it running. Your point about the build quality is a valid one tho so perhaps it will be more reliable than i think...

Firstly given the price of Tooquicktostop's Supra, how much can you lose?

It's not like you're buying a £30k car.

Also, whichever make of car you buy, you will lose money.

It's not a money making investment you'd be pursuing here - It's an *automotive driving/owning pleasure* kind of investment

Guest Goughy
Firstly given the price of Tooquicktostop's Supra, how much can you lose?

It's not like you're buying a £30k car.

Also, whichever make of car you buy, you will lose money.

It's not a money making investment you'd be pursuing here - It's an *automotive driving/owning pleasure* kind of investment

Yea your right...its a Head and Heart battle!

In the end of the day do you want a car as a status or as something you will enjoy to drive.

A supra imho is a drivers car, I have seen alot of people buy them and then sell due to not being able to live with it. Yes fuel will be steep and parts expensive but then so is a women. If you want a car that you can get in and have a smile put on your face as the door shuts and engine starts then a supra is the car to do it.

Many of the owners will agree with that statement, and this is the reason you see members who have owned their mkiv for 5 years or more. If you are worried about resale value, that's a problem you can only decide on.

My advice would be to find a local member to you and ask if they can take you out in one so you can experience it yourself. In the 1st post you say that you have never driven one. Have you been a passenger?, as it would be stupid to commit to buying one with no experience of one.

Find one that is near you that's for sale,go for a test drive and if you like it then look for one that's for sale on here,then get a shed as your daily driver,insure the sup on classic,and the shed on your normal insurance.

Best of both :)