The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Poor ride, Help needed.

The Raven

Ive been out in a bro in laws car, and it confirms that mine is giving a very poor ride.

I have changed the front shocks as the old ones where leaking, and drop links while i was there and it does not seem to have made much of a difference. It seems to pick up every bump in the road and rattle me half to death. Where for his just goes over smooth as you like.

Any ideas what could be causing this and how to fix it?

If it were me, and I was at my wits end, I'd start by replacing all 4 shockers & springs with a brand new known setup (ie billies & stock springs)

Subframe bolts/worn drop links/worn suspension bushes is all going to result in a knock of some sort, and seeing as your problem seems to be ride quality vs noise I'd be wanting to get a brand new set of shockers in as a starting point

Been out this morning and found a few issues.

1. Front tyre pressure 33

2. Rear tyre pressure 34.

3. Small tool set in the upper and lower glove box. (thus making the ride seem worse as it rattles in the box)

4. Worn boot rubbers, same as above really.

I have lowered the pressure to 30 all round is that a correct PSI for the size?

Sorted the boot rubbers out

Removed anything that would jungle and jangle.

Seems better now.

Would my front brace make the ride harder? I will remove it and try it out again.

I will be checking the sub frame bolts and other bits when i can tax some stands.

i think as jamie said its the 18s and low profile tyres mine was really solid on them felt every bump, dropped to 17s on a slightly bigger tyre wall and its a lot smoother also when i ran a 45 rear profile instead of a 40 it was a big difference in comfort barely felt anything

Definitely with the crowd on this one. Bigger tyres=Better ride. I'm going from 17's to 18's but I'm going to upscale the OD a little so I don't lose too much tyre squish.

High ratio tyres may make it vaguer/flappier in the corners, but it soaks up bumps.

Your tyre pressures are posted on the B pillar of the drivers door, if not on yours then on your bro in laws! Adjust your tyres to that pressure! Still check your sub frame bolts though, before I was getting a "boat" kind of feel when going around corners and felt like it had mo body roll which was really weird! Definitely tighten those up :)