The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Twin Turbo upgrade

jmcc42uk

Forgot to add this quote from the post

Now..........we can get to specifics!

Over the last 4 years, there has been a lot of talk about hybrids. Few have ever come up with anything concrete. Europe and Australia have made more advancements in this area than the US. There are a couple of people in this forum who have done this. TomSid being one. Following his thread for over a year was really interesting. It ended up more of a disappointment than anything else. After spending WAY more than there value, and producing much less HP than expected, it finally died away. The saddest part was after he removed these and sold them off to another Supra owner, his car got stolen, along with the hybrids. (http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...t=79889&page=2)

So in came Aaron, a member here, and a turbo engineer with GE. He and I collaborated and he came up with the first beta series T30 60mm turbos.

http://97supraturbo.com/New%20Turbo%...OEM-Hybrid.JPG

I supplied most all the materials Aaron had the hybrids made. These are currently on my car as we speak. They have made 501 whp in Vegas, and 534 whp here where I live. Both were just about at 20psi. (all this in my original thread from a year ago). We have about 20 sets out there still being tested. There has been a 630+whp on these with an undisclosed shot. His turbos have since bit the dust (he ran them at 28psi) So the limits to these are around 22-24 psi safely. The good news is there value, the downside is they still use the OEM shaft and turbine. I have literally beat the crap out of these and they are still doing very well. 3 HPDE and several drag runs with no issues. My minimum boost is 17.6 and maximum is 22 psi. These are true "drop-in" turbos. What I mean is removing the band clamps/oil and water lines, and your done.

Then came another turbo builder who had made a trial set of turbos with a true drop in GT28R set of cartridges. These require a lot more work to install since these no longer use the band clamp installation, and do not use OEM water and Oil lines. This individual knows turbos quite well. They use the same OEM compressor housing and all other stock piping, etc. The EBV and WG actuators are modified slightly because they no longer use the same "flappers". Other than that, completely stock looking.

The first beta tester for these goes by "hammerhead" here on the forums. He has made a custom manifold that would compliment these turbos. He also is doing a mock up set of oil and water lines. Hopefully he will be done soon and provide some dynos based on his level of mods. I should have mine installed by September. We are going to make several sets for testing. Right now, I have sent in 12 sets. Hopefully there will be more interest and we can some of these out there instead of myself and hammerhead. PM me for further details.

Here again are what the GT28R look like.http://97supraturbo.com/GT28R%20Turb...Conversion.pdf

These have been balanced to 24psi. They have a 33% larger shaft, and a larger Turbine. Estimate output is about 20% more than the ones I have now. This maybe a little lower with lesser mods than myself. Again, its all really unknown until more people start providing dynos, etc.

Keep in mind that these will probably be twice the cost as the ones I am currently running. So these, once marketed by someone, will be pushing the "single" cost factor. So they won't appeal to everyone. I should also mention that both these set-ups will run sequential. I cannot vouch for these new GT28R's as yet, as far as how well they perform sequential, but they are designed to run sequential. Although they could run TTC as well.

In conjunction to upgraded turbo's, I have also designed a small electronic #1 turbo boost controller that plumbs into the stock EBV VSV location. It basically will control the stock VSV to operate at different adjustable thresholds than how the OEM ECU controls it now. No extra hose routings required. It can adjust the boost levels from 10 -18 psi. Hopefully I will have these available at Speedforsale in a month or so. Just need testing.

Stu Hagen

Anyone seen this - http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?444569-Stock-twins-replacement-upgrade-Hybrid-GT28R-s

Would these last at say 1.4 - 1.5 bar of boost?

I'm thinking you would also need ECU, injectors, cams etc.

i have these turbo's fitted to my uk spec and they will run upto 1.7 bar, at the moment i am at 1.2 bar and 480 bhp i did upgrade my injectors from 550 to 650 and i am still on the stock cams but i do intend to replace them with 264 cams and fit water injection which i have i am just being too lazy to get it fitted but once done i will get it remapped and i will exceed the 500 barrier (and in answer to your other question you will need an ecu to get the best from the turbo's i am useing a syvecs ecu) if you go to speedforsale.com that is there website hope this info helps.

Anyone seen this - http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?444569-Stock-twins-replacement-upgrade-Hybrid-GT28R-s

Would these last at say 1.4 - 1.5 bar of boost?

I'm thinking you would also need ECU, injectors, cams etc.

Looking for reliable power at a higher level than BPU but want to stay with the twin setup.

Yes you will need to upgrade the fuel system, ECU and other parts to support the higher flowing turbos, basically all the same parts you would need for a reliable single turbo conversion.

The turbos may be able to take higher boost levels but the stock sequential setup will be the limiting factor, running 1.5bar of boost will potentially generate dangerously high exhaust temperatures.

It'll be a lot of money for what'll end up being moderate gains 450+hp - I would take the hp claims with a huge pinch of salt. It is not a route I would go, if you want more than BPU hp levels a single turbo conversion would give you much better results for similar money.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Yes you will need to upgrade the fuel system, ECU and other parts to support the higher flowing turbos, basically all the same parts you would need for a reliable single turbo conversion.

The turbos may be able to take higher boost levels but the stock sequential setup will be the limiting factor, running 1.5bar of boost will potentially generate dangerously high exhaust temperatures.

It'll be a lot of money for what'll end up being moderate gains 450+hp - I would take the hp claims with a huge pinch of salt. It is not a route I would go, if you want more than BPU hp levels a single turbo conversion would give you much better results for similar money.

i think you need to check out my dyno graph, and i still have more to come with this setup and considering ryan mapped it i would say he nows what he is doing

I looked at these before I sold my supra. They could be made to work very well and I think they would if you could increase manifold efficiency. As Nic mentioned, its the stock setup that is going to hold you back. A freind of mine has had a custome manifold made and an external wastegate setup created for his twin setup and I think it will work well. We'll wait and see ;)

The difference between the kit is purely the way its setup as the uk and jap cars differ.

Do a lot of research mate before making the leap.

I dissagree with Nic on the horsepower claims, I reckon if setup and engineered well it could make over 500 given the right supporting mods

Do you have a link or can you post a copy?

yes nic here is my last dyno graph like i said i will be adding water injection and cams before i take it back to ryan then we can wind the boost up more.

what i am trying to prove is that the magic 500bhp for twins can be broken i was told it can't be done and in my world there is no such word as i can't, stubburn like an old mule (sorry) but i will admit it might not be enough for me when finished and i might still go single because i want around 600+bhp just perfect for a good fast road car.

dyno.2.jpg

yes nic here is my last dyno graph like i said i will be adding water injection and cams before i take it back to ryan then we can wind the boost up more.

what i am trying to prove is that the magic 500bhp for twins can be broken i was told it can't be done and in my world there is no such word as i can't, stubburn like an old mule (sorry) but i will admit it might not be enough for me when finished and i might still go single because i want around 600+bhp just perfect for a good fast road car.

Good results :thumbs: are they flywheel or wheel figures?

500hp may be possible but I'd think that'd be the upper limit, the stock sequential setup will ultimately be the limiting factor on how high you can push them. Considering the not dissimilar costs involved - for me - I still think a single turbo conversion is the better option.

As a comparison THIS is my dyno plot running a (relatively small) Garrett GT35R turbo at 1.3bar, it gives similar low down response, much smoother torque curve, with more mid range power and potential for much higher hp.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)