The mkiv Supra Owners Club

new scottish member :) BPU questions

Clancy2k

HI there, I'm due to get my first Mkiv supra RZ twin-turbo next week! I've seen lots of good info on this forum about them so i've decided to join!

I've been reading the BPU section and im very keen on doing it to my supra. I have a few questions though, regardging the replacement of the cats, am i right in thinking that theres a cat in the back box of exhausts? alwell as the one next to the mainfold that get replaced with the d-cat pipe. If my supra already has a full s/s exhaust system, how do i tell if its a de-cat system? and finaly, where can i get a "restrictor ring"?

Cheers.

Edited by Clancy2k (see edit history)

You'll have to find out what kind of exhaust system it has and ask the people/person you're buying it from. Most aftermarket exhausts are "cat back" exhausts meaning from the cat back. Usually it would go 1st cat - 2nd cat - cat back exhaust.

You can get restrictor rings from a lot of places including Whifbitz (trader on here) at this link http://whifbitzperformancetuning.co.uk/toyota-supra-supra-exhausts-decats-decat-downpipes-garage-whifbitz-p-1793.html

Have a look under the Supra you're buying and see what the exhaust system looks like. If there's a pipe starting from around the middle of the car going forward that looks oval with ridges and stuff then that'll be the 2nd cat, if there's just a normal round pipe then it'll have a 2nd decat. Check here http://whifbitzperformancetuning.co.uk/toyota-supra-supra-exhausts-decats-decat-downpipes-c-42_47_870_872.html to see what the 1st and 2nd decats look like.

Oh yeah, welcome! :)

Thanks for your reply and info! that has straightend a few things out for me!

How much does it cost in labour to get all the BPU parts fitted to the cars?

cheers.

No idea, you could try sending one of the traders a PM. If you can follow instructions then you could fit the parts yourself. The boost controller looks to be the hardest/most complicated part to fit but you should get instructions with it and there are step by step instruction (with pics) on how to do it! :)

:welcome: mate. have a look at the scottish section and keep an eye out for the up and coming events bud, we also love pics here :D even if your looking at getting it. Where about are you getting the supra from? any links to it, it might be known on here bud. Have you had much experience with high performance cars? i would get used to the normal power from the TT to start with and then look into going BPU bud.

For BPU you will need alot more than just de-cats and a RR. do you know what type of system is on it already? if you do a proper search for the BPU then it will tell you all you need to know :) theres a few of us going about the aberdeen area, theres 6 speeds, 5 speeds and auto's and all at various levels of performance (from half BPU to full BPU) and will be happy to meet you to let you see what it feels like and etc. As for the price of getting it done, it all depends if you are good with a spanner or if you want to put it to a garage, i dont think theres much local garages in the aberdeen area i would trust doing it.