The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Reconditioning a supra steering rack

Suprab1

Has anyone done this?

I noticed my rack has a little leak on the passenger side where the inner tie rod goes into it. I called Mr T today & for a recon kit for the whole rack it would be €110+ vat. So i'm thinking that's not a bad price, but just want to know if it's a pig of a job to do?

Try these guys,

They are well repsected in the steering game, ship worldwide and did a great job on my XJS rack.

http://www.kellybraysteering.co.uk/

I have tried to do racks in the past but found it difficult if you dont have the right special tools. For the prices these guys charge it's hardly worth doing yourself and they are only 15 miles from me:p

my mechanic has done it twice on my Supra TT (throughout my 8 years of owning this cool ride) and very easy job indeed. :) just ensure you put back the parts in order (take photos of it, if required) as once the seals are installed, you shouldn't remove it or else you'll risk damaging it.

fyi, the steering rack repair kit part# is 04445-14040.

my mechanic has done it twice on my Supra TT (throughout my 8 years of owning this cool ride) and very easy job indeed. :) just ensure you put back the parts in order (take photos of it, if required) as once the seals are installed, you shouldn't remove it or else you'll risk damaging it.

fyi, the steering rack repair kit part# is 04445-14040.

I would expectv a rack to last well over 10 years, you have had 2 rebuilds in 8 years!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe not so easy ehh !!!

oops... lemme explain in details...

1st rebuilt - mechanic didn't replace the super loose tie rods, so thought this could have prematurely worn the newly fitted rack seals due to vibration?!

2nd rebuilt - mechanic forgotten to put the "small metal tube" piece back into the rack assembly and got into vacuum mode, so ended up hammering the shaft out again and broke a seal. replaced the damaged seal with an old one (still in ok condition - no choice as new parts order will take at least a month!) but after a year now, it's leaking again... WTF!

will be ordering my 3rd rack repair kit soon... :)

Edited by fastnfurious (see edit history)

1st rebuilt done but didn't replace the super loose tie rod, so thought this could have prematurely worn the rack seals... thus ended up with 2nd built months later... on the 2nd buld, they forgotten to put back a metal tube piece and since it got into vacuum mode, they ended up hammering the shaft out and broke a seal... so replaced this one damaged new seal with an old but still looking ok piece... but now it's leaking again... :(

Sounds like an easy way to lose money, in other words your mechanic hasn't managed to rebuild the rack at all neverless easily !!!!

• 6 years later...