The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thought I would start here :). Hi!

Guest LaurenceGough

Guest LaurenceGough

Hey all,

Thought I would start here for my first post..

I'm currently 19 and have been driving for a year now, looking to get a Supra IV (thinking TT) as soon I can afford the insurance!!

I'm a bit annoyed at the stupid price for insurance as it's not like you can race 'em around on these roads lol...

I just love Supras, whenever I see one pass I can't take my eyes or ears off it!! :D

Hopefully I will be able to join you guys sometime soon... I know it's going to take a lot of saving up...

Cheers,

Laurence

Guest LaurenceGough

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Nope, I don't have any experience in real life with RWD yet, I know you have to be very careful due to the different handling (i.e not just understeer all the time haha).

Do you find that insurance companies will look into your previous car history? When I get quotes it never seems to ask about your previous cars I've noticed.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Nope, I don't have any experience in real life with RWD yet, I know you have to be very careful due to the different handling (i.e not just understeer all the time haha).

Do you find that insurance companies will look into your previous car history? When I get quotes it never seems to ask about your previous cars I've noticed.

Oversteer actually. The twin turbos are not a car you want to jump straight into with no experience in RWD and little driving experience.

Guest LaurenceGough

I meant with FWD cars you mainly have understeer, with a supra you will not just have understeer all the time :). It was just a poor light hearted joke at FWD handling.

I understand that, I'm sure I will go through a few more cars yet before insurance is a reasonable price. Thanks :).

I meant with FWD cars you mainly have understeer, with a supra you will not just have understeer all the time :). It was just a poor light hearted joke at FWD handling.

I understand that, I'm sure I will go through a few more cars yet before insurance is a reasonable price. Thanks :).

Okay, just looking out for you. :) In the meantime, welcome to the club. You'll find plenty of information here... everything you need in fact. :thumbs:

I went from a 1.2 Clio to a remapped 1.9TDi Golf to the Supra TT. If you're careful and don't put your foot down at the wrong times and in the wrong conditions, you'll be ok.

I've only had the back end slide (unintentionally) once when I lifted the clutch too quickly in 2nd going round an island in the wet. It was easy to get back straight but yeah, as long as you respect the car, you'll be fine :)

Guest LaurenceGough

Thanks all, great info!! 1k for insurance, I'll snap your arm off :).

I'm now starting to think about a NA Supra to start with, I could always change a few years down the line... I just love the sounds of the turbo and the performance does look fun in small doses :D.

Personally, I wouldn't be too put off by the step-up from a small car to a twin turbo supra. My advice would be to save for the spec you really want, and drive it carefully to begin with.

Many drivers are too simple to be able to adjust their driving style to suit the conditions. They have a digital throttle regardless of whether it's sunny, icy, rainy or busy. I suspect you're not in that category though, so that's a good start. :)

If you do go straight to a TT, drive it carefully for a while, and definitely leave the enthusiastic driving until it's quiet and dry, and when you have sufficient run-off tarmac to correct any brown-trouser moments you may have.

I got my Supra when I was 19, I had a BMW 330 before so I had experiance of rear wheel drive(plus trackdays in the Caterham and racing karts since I was about 12), but I still had quite a few sketchy moments whilst I was 'learning' the car, I still do but I know how to correct it with ease now.

I wouldn't recommend a Supra TT as your first RWD though as the chances of an accident are heavily against you(forget about Josh, he's the exception to the rule).

N/A would be better:)