The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Kid on the Engine Block!

Guest Goughy

Guest Goughy

Hi Guys,

I have been looking on this site for months probably years trying to decide whether it is the right time to buy my dream supra! Well I am now thinking of getting a TT so im on the hunt, probably means I will be around asking questions!

I have seen 'tooquicktostop's' Black TT, looks awesome and is pretty much exactly what I am after but I wanted a manual...what are the autos like?! If someone has got experience of both I would be interested to hear your opinion.

Cheers

You've been here since Sep 09 in case you want to know :p

Welcome (sort of)!

Now is definitely the right time, although fuel will be expensive, the price of Supras seems to have dropped drastically!

The auto 'box is considered one of the best auto 'boxes around so unless you can afford a 6 speed, you shouldn't be too disappointed with an auto.

Good luck with your search :)

Guest Goughy

Yea cheers, I just noticed as I posted that it was 2009, can't believe it has been that long! Fuel is getting pricey but thats not going to get any cheaper so I may as well bite the bullet, what MPG would you expect from a TT?

46:blink:, is that towing it?

I got from Hopwood Services (J2 M42) where I filled the car fully to Southampton ferry port (the Shell garage there) where I filled up fully again and it cost me £20 to fill it up (at £1.45 per litre) when I got there. That was a journey of 135 miles.

No one believed me before but that's what happened..

Guest Goughy

I was supreised at 46mpg but that does sound good!

Going back to the auto gearbox's is it easy/possible to swap the auto box out for a manual? Are manual boxes easy to source?

Going back to the auto gearbox's is it easy/possible to swap the auto box out for a manual? Are manual boxes easy to source?

Tbh, I don't know how it happened as on the way back I worked out I did about 26mpg and I was only pushing a bit harder than on the way there.

But yeah seriously, I did do 135 miles on £20. Maybe the tank shrunk on the drive there so it cost less to fill :p

Edited by Josh (see edit history)

Let me be quite clear about this. You will not get 46mpg out of a TT running on petrol :)

With conservative driving on a motorway at legal speeds you may get 30-35mpg.

Around town 18-24mpg.

And should you choose to drive like screaming banshee, it will be less. Much less.

So I suppose an average would in the low 20's.

Do you have a heavy right foot?

Edited by Lbm (see edit history)

Guest Goughy

OK, that sounds more realistic! My right foot does carry some weight so I could probably expect to get about 15-20 I would guess. I am thinking of getting a diesel to run to work so this would probably work out to be ok.

I have seen a few people changing their TT for single turbos, any idea why? Is it simply the fuel or is there more to worry about with a TT?

OK, that sounds more realistic! My right foot does carry some weight so I could probably expect to get about 15-20 I would guess. I am thinking of getting a diesel to run to work so this would probably work out to be ok.

I have seen a few people changing their TT for single turbos, any idea why? Is it simply the fuel or is there more to worry about with a TT?

They change to a single turbo for more power. The reason they don't usually change to twin turbos is because there's more to go wrong compared to a single.

Simple answer - more power :eyebrows:

The idea is to swap the sequential turbos with one large turbo, so you get more power and boost in one go. Standard twin turbos can hold a figure between 280bhp and 420bhp, whilst a single turbo can hold anything up to 1500bhp.

It uses more fuel, as expected. And can be less reliable and much more expensive to maintain, but that's what you get from power gains.

The diesel runaround is a great idea. There's a few of us on here that do that.

I'm not the most techy bloke on the froum, but I'm lead to believe you don't go Single turbo for the economy :D TT's are IMHO very reliable.

Single turbos will give you more power and you will go quicker, but they need to be done right and they're not exactly cheap.

Welcome, you should check out Dean's car (tooquicktoostop), BARGAIN for what his asking for! Won't be hanging around.

And if you never driven an auto before, after the Supra's autobox you won't bother going back to a manual.

If it helps the auto's are faster or nothing between them and a manual.

Guest Goughy

Yea I have seen Dean's and have PM'd him but not had anything back yet. Also I cant post on his thread, is that because I am not a fully paid up member?

Yea I have seen Dean's and have PM'd him but not had anything back yet. Also I cant post on his thread, is that because I am not a fully paid up member?
Yep, that is correct. Sign up as a member, the £10 is nothing compared to what you get in return.

I sold my Supra but renewed my membership 2 weeks ago because this place is where its at! :D

Guest Goughy

Getting annoyed with this not being able to comment on threads, does anyone know if I pay my £10 whether I will get access straight off? Wheres a moderator when you need one?! :)