The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aero Supra Running Costs / MPG / Thoughts!?!

Mallo

Now then all, as some may know im seriously thinking about investing in a Supra.

But i really really want the aero top, knowing that this is not a Turbo im curious to know peoples thoughts. How these feel, what the MPG range is etc

Im also interested to know rough costs on adding the turbo lump or alternative ways to improve the engine. I dont really want to get a turbo as i want the aero top more.

For me this would be a great advantage to my photography, where as owning a hard top would make rolling shots soo much harder.

Thoughs, any videos welcome etc cheers Mallo

I want a supra but it will be a daily and i travel all over the country shooting cars, can be every weekend. So MPG is a problem, maybe a supra just isnt the choice as of yet :(

Shitty UK with stupid fuel prices

Buy one that's been converted to LPG. Very few and far between though..

I want a supra but it will be a daily and i travel all over the country shooting cars, can be every weekend. So MPG is a problem, maybe a supra just isnt the choice as of yet :(

Wouldn't recommend it then if you are doing a lot of miles every day around the country.

Unless of course you are earning a lot of £££!!!

i no it sounds harsh but if you are all ready concerned about running costs then currently this is not the car for you, they are not cheap cars to run/ maintain.

If mpg is an issue, a Supra will be a problem. Id consider getting something frugal for a daily, and start saving for one as a second car. It seems very few Supras can manage more than 30mpg on a very steady run.

TBH any 90s sportscar will be pretty crap on fuel.

I use my Supra (SZ aerotop) as a daily drive and used to turn over about 18000 miles per year. I spent a lot of time working out what it would cost to run and it currently works out about £400 per month. That includes routine servicing according to the Toyota schedule but done by myself (i.e. no labour charge), fuel, insurance, tax and consumables like tyres and brake pads. I spend about £250 per month on fuel and my insurance premium is about £600 per year.

The car Running costs isnt a problem, the amount of discount i get on products is better than any garage can quote u lol Just the fuel.

Its just the daily drive, it maybe annoying, i do like them alot and i dont generally like jap cars most bore me, and feel like a toy from toys r us lol But the supra hits alot of good spots, and im a picky twat, even on my previous cars, id be more of a JDM boy lol But yes milage is a problem i cant hesitate if they chance arises to pop to london over night, or do belgium etc. Ive gone from Golf's and Passats that will do 800 miles on £60 fuel a year ago. Then upto a 217bhp Mk4 Golf 1.8T that cost a bomb but was alot of fun, but then i had a clio 200 cup when at Max Power and was strangly good on fuel :-/ Mmmmh still follow the Supra boys no matter what and styles ;)

But i really really want the aero top, knowing that this is not a Turbo im curious to know peoples thoughts. How these feel, what the MPG range is etc

Not all aerotops are NA's, there were also twin turbo auto aerotops.

Im also interested to know rough costs on adding the turbo lump or alternative ways to improve the engine. I dont really want to get a turbo as i want the aero top more.

There is very little you can do to significantly increase the power of a 2JZ-GE Supra. Buying an NA Supra and doing a reliable turbo conversion will cost many many £K's, it's not just a case of bolting on a turbo, there are a LOT of other supporting modifications that need doing - fueling, ECU/mapping, electronics, drivetrain, cooling, etc. Far cheaper to buy an Aero TT to start with.

...and if you are worried about fuel costs don't buy a Supra.

The car Running costs isnt a problem, the amount of discount i get on products is better than any garage can quote u lol Just the fuel.

You'll find that Toyota parts will be expensive. The traders on here undercut even heavily discounted Toyota dealership prices. (unless you know people who sell products at less than cost :D )

DONT underestimate how expensive Supras can be when they go wrong, you wouldn't be the first to sell a non running car due to the many thousands required to put it right ;)

Well if its just fuel then its simple maths. My car has averaged 21 MPG over the last 50 fill ups and has never got above 27MPG on a long run.

• 2 months later...
130mile motorway drive costs £30

assuming £1.4 / ltr - this works out to be 27mpg.

120mile for the week, b-road/town drive to my works 24mile a day is £40ish a week so they not very clear,

like above, works out to be 19mpg.

fairly typical of a TT - wonder whether modern sports cars of similar performance would do any better.