The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra SZ Non-Turbo

Guest RoundPound27

Guest RoundPound27

Hello people im on my way to buying a Supra SZ N/A as i simply cannot afford 2 buy a twin-turbo :( is there anywhere u can get atleast a supercharger for the sz? So wont be alone with the folks that has a single or a twin:eyebrows:

Hello people im on my way to buying a Supra SZ N/A as i simply cannot afford 2 buy a twin-turbo :( is there anywhere u can get atleast a supercharger for the sz? So wont be alone with the folks that has a single or a twin:eyebrows:

If you have the money to buy a Supra SZ non-turbo, then keep that cash, and save a little longer and get a TT. :D If you want something bad enough then you'll save every penny you have to get it. :D

Yes you can get supercharger kits, IMO though not worth it.

to be fair if you want to buy one then go for it. they are high cost to run but you will find a way to pay for things if you love having a supra as much as most of us here.

cheap turbo kits are improving on quality and more and more people are saying they have fewer problems, but its still considered a custom conversion and there will always be niggles like something not fitting perfect with any custom job.

depending on the cost of the car, if you have a friendly mechanic you can buy and turbo an NA for good condition TT, but it isnt proven to be as reliable as it normally isnt.

but then it comes down to cost, if you save for a TT then you have that period of time waiting to drive it, if you think your be happy with the NA speed you can always save while you have a supra. if its going to take an extra year to save money for the difference of a TT rather than an NA, would you rather drive a NA and turbo it down the road, even if the total cost comes to having a TT. id rather have a year of driving :) plus most NA-T's are rated higher bhp than some stock TT's.

but then you have a different gear box ! i know when i go NA-T i'l always want a 6speed instead of 5, just something il have to live with.

supercharging ISNT easy, and its uncommon so there isnt a huge amount of info on it. but saying that, a supercharged supra is DAM friggin awesome :D

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

Just go to the bank and borrow a few ££'s or slap a bit on your mortgage if you've got one ;) your only here once so enjoy it before you get to old and struggle to get in the bath let alone a low sportscar.

And know im not talking from experiance,,,,yet :D

Welcome to the club :thumbs:

If you buy a NA Supra then there is very little you can do to significantly increase the performance - you may get an extra 10-15hp with exhaust, decat and tubular manifold - without spending many many £K's on either a turbo or Supercharger conversion.

There are many cheap turbo kits on ebay to fit the 2JZ-GE (NA Supra engine) but few are fit for purpose in terms of quality and the kit itself is just a fraction of the overall conversion cost as many other parts - fueling, ECU, mapping, electronics, drivetrain, etc. - also need upgrading to support the increase in power. There are a few off the shelf Supercharger kits available for the 2JZ-GE but all are for the VVTi version and will not fit the non-VVTi 2JZ-GE that was fitted in the Supra.

Basically it will cost you a LOT more money to do a reliable supercharger/turbo conversion on an NA Supra than it would to buy a TT Supra to start with.

Wait and buy a TT, if you want big power and are already thinking about supercharging or adding a turbo it will make a lot more sense to wait and get a TT to begin with.

I had the same thoughts when I got my NA.....then constantly wished I had bought a TT.

Guest RoundPound27

thx for the tips Gentlemen .. i fought long and hard lol and i guess i just save up i do like to have more power but as some of u stated the N/A is just the same as the TT in shape and size just 2 different engines thx for all your help and support

thx for the tips Gentlemen .. i fought long and hard lol and i guess i just save up i do like to have more power but as some of u stated the N/A is just the same as the TT in shape and size just 2 different engines thx for all your help and support

Who did you fight with?

A complete TT conversion is not really a complete TT conversion either. The conversion is just the engine swap and everything needed to make it work, there are various other differences too, I am sure other people will help me out remembering....because I can't at the moment :)

A complete TT conversion is not really a complete TT conversion either. The conversion is just the engine swap and everything needed to make it work, there are various other differences too, I am sure other people will help me out remembering....because I can't at the moment :)

Resale price, for a start :D