The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Remapping

Guest jonny79

Guest jonny79

Hi,

I have a 1994 uk spec supra which engine wise is completely standard.

I am thinking of getting it remapped.

Which is the best place to get it done? How much more BHP will this produce?

Is it safe to do this and are there any pitfalls?

What kind of power gain can one expect from a stock TT pre-BPU with a remap using a piggyback ECU like the eManage ultimate? With mods like fmic/uprated smic and a new exhaust system like a Blitz Nur Spec?

Unless you decat/BPU very little, not worth the bother IMO, and even at BPU there is not much to be had by using a piggyback, maybe 10-15BHP if mapped correctly, its only when you run in TTC mode, or run hybrids or go single that it will start to show its worth.

What kind of power gain can one expect from a stock TT pre-BPU with a remap using a piggyback ECU like the eManage ultimate? With mods like fmic/uprated smic and a new exhaust system like a Blitz Nur Spec?

If you are running stock boost pressure, the ECU/map would add a little, I'd guess 10-20hp, so around 330-340hp total. The big - and relatively cheap - hp gains are to be had by removing the cats and upping the boost to 1.2bar, this along with the ECU/map should make 400+hp. If you added longer duration/higher lift cams to that, it should make up to around 430hp.

If you are running stock boost pressure, the ECU/map would add a little, I'd guess 10-20hp, so around 330-340hp total. The big - and relatively cheap - hp gains are to be had by removing the cats and upping the boost to 1.2bar, this along with the ECU/map should make 400+hp. If you added longer duration/higher lift cams to that, it should make up to around 430hp.

Thanks for the reply Nic, my stock Jspec TT is prodicing 286bhp and 305nm of torque, I would like to increase tge power of the car to about 320-330 bhp without upping the boost, will this be attainable without going BPU? Will 256 cams and an Emanage ultimate give me this power?

Thanks for the reply Nic, my stock Jspec TT is prodicing 286bhp and 305nm of torque, I would like to increase tge power of the car to about 320-330 bhp without upping the boost, will this be attainable without going BPU? Will 256 cams and an Emanage ultimate give me this power?

You might get close but it's much cheaper and easier by going BPU as people have said - so double decat with restrictor ring, fuel cut defender, fmic, boost controller to up the boost. You probably can do without the boost controller if you are looking at under 350bhp

286hp at the wheels or flywheel? A stock J-spec Supra should make around 300-320hp (flywheel).

Cams and EMU/mapping would be a lot of expense to go to for what would only be moderate gains in power. Upping the boost only slightly to say 0.9-1bar by removing the first cat and fitting an aftermarket exhaust would be a lot cheaper and get you much better results.

When was the car last serviced and when were the oxygen sensors last renewed? Spending the money on a thorough service will make a noticeable difference if the car hasn't been pampered for a while.

286 at the wheels? I assume you mean 305 lbft torque as 305nm is nothing for a TT.

You might get close but it's much cheaper and easier by going BPU as people have said - so double decat with restrictor ring, fuel cut defender, fmic, boost controller to up the boost. You probably can do without the boost controller if you are looking at under 350bhp

Why would you rather spend lots of money on cams/ecu/mapping rather than just going BPU properly?

Bpu at 1bar will give me the power levels I'm looking at and it will be cheaper, but my train of thought is that upping the boost just compromises tge realiability if the car, or am I just wrong in thinking this way?

Then why would you want to have more power? Surely more power means sacrificing something - whether it's turbo's or reliability

Depends on your approach. Raising the boost will mean your turbos won't last as long, and doing other mods instead also means the car might (arguably) drive better too if mapped correctly as you won't get that huge kick in the back as per BPU.

IMO Nic is right though, a modest boost hike with some well-planned supporting mods is the best combination. I certainly would never want to have a highly-strung turbo car again. Every time you plant your foot you worry something is going to pop. Much better to over-engineer.

Bpu at 1bar will give me the power levels I'm looking at and it will be cheaper, but my train of thought is that upping the boost just compromises tge realiability if the car, or am I just wrong in thinking this way?

0.9-1bar should give you the moderate power/torque gains you are looking for without over stressing the turbos. I would personally go this route rather than fitting a piggyback ECU, arguably the car could be less reliable with a piggyback ECU compared to running with just the stock ECU, but that really depends on who would be doing the mapping.

It's 286bhp at the wheels and yes I meant 305lbft of torque. Gaz got it right I am thinking if preserving my Turbo's, that's why I want a little more power without upping the boost.

I don't know if the o2 sensor has been replaced, so I'll be replacing that soonish, I have yet to fit my greddy fmic so I should see some ponies return as my stock smic is most likely not as efficient as it was 16 years ago.

Will I be able to hold boost pressure at 0.9bar with a restrictor ring and boost controller?

Edited by SamuraiFlash (see edit history)

Will I be able to hold boost pressure at 0.9bar with a restrictor ring and boost controller?

Fitting a 1st decat pipe, keeping the 2nd cat and fitting an aftermarket exhaust should increase the boost slightly to around 0.9-1bar, it should also help the turbos spool up quicker and the car be more responsive.

If the boost does go too high then a restrictor ring could be fitted to keep it in check. If you stay below 1bar then you won't need a fuel cut defender - although you'll be right on the limit so may be worth fitting - your current spark plugs should be fine, the stock fuel pump should also be able to cope. I would fit a boost gauge so you can keep an eye on boost levels.