The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Mapped - S362 Batmowheel - 6 Months Work Paid Off!

leelbuk

Was last November when I decided to take the car off the road and since then I have been watched from my neighbours windows as I have changed stem seals in the snow, gone through a set of injectors and a turbo and endured comments like "still at it then?!" for the last 6 months on my driveway but it all ended this week.

Met up with Ryan first thing in the morning at SRR and he got straight to work. After some initial setup the car was ready to see some boost and I was ready to have a heart attack as I was practically a nervous wreck, worried about all my DIY efforts on the driveway! Felt like it was me being tested and not just the car!

Turns out I had little to be worried about as the numbers started churning out of the dyno. 435...497... 530.. I thought, bingo! I was expecting around 550 from a 62mm turbo so was happy already but next thing I know, Ryan is telling me these figures are at the wheels with the final figure actually being 624.7BHP @ the flywheel with ~520ftlb torque :ecstatic:

I was shocked at completely passing the 600 mark, the reality of which was soon highlighted as Ryan could not safely map it any higher as the 725cc ID injectors were approaching their safe limits. I hadn't prepared for the need for this much fuel but luckily I did aim a little higher!

Now I have had a chance to drive the car I can't say enough good things about the way it drives - it's simply awesome and put's a massive grin on my face every time I put my foot down on the go pedal! It's everything I expected from a single after having a couple of single supra passenger rides in the past and makes all the time, money and effort seem worth it.

The turbo spools up pretty much where the 2nd turbo on the stock TT setup does so apart from the massive hike in power, it feels like I'm partially used to the way it drives already. Once spooled though it is a different animal altogether and simply pulls and pulls and pulls! The combination of this batmowheel turbo and cams seems to work well and makes the car feel so 'unrestrictive' up to the redline.

Sorry to blabber on though! I think I'll stop here and just thank Ryan for his awesome work, and getting his hands dirty when I needed to make a mechanical adjustment to the car - not what I expected from a mapper but certainly shows more of a genuine interest in the success of a customers build! Top man!

Also big thanks to everyone else that I leeched information from throughout the build and to this forum for without it, the people on it and the information stored in it I don't think I would have had a cat in hell's chance doing this on my own!

I'll shut up now and leave you with a small vid! :cool:

Cheers.

Lee.

NM-KqHjqfCg

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=19377&d=1303428856

Thanks all! I'm real glad I did the work myself - I learned a LOT! It's all less complicated than it seems if you have some common sense and basic interest in how stuff works. Wouldn't have minded some air tools and a warm garage to work in though!

I'm sure that anyone else with more experience than me and the right tools could pull this off much quicker but actually the majority of the time was spent waiting for parts!

cracking results i look forward to working with ryan on my build/mapping. Im ordering my turbo tomorrow but not sure whether to try out the billet version 62, your 6 speed right??

I've got the billet 62 Rob (batmowheel) and it seems like it is making a difference over the cast version. My closest comparison is ADD but he doesn't have the cams so not sure how much more power is actually coming from my turbo or just the cams.

I am 6 speed yes, used to be Auto but AFR converted me about a year and half ago. Certainly glad I did as once I'd experienced the power I knew it would be hard to turn the power back down to save the gearbox.

Nice work Lee, good result for a 62mm, sounds like there might be more in it an all.

Cheers Jamie, I'm surprised at the power! I wasn't expecting to see these sort of numbers without a fair bit more boost. I'm still adjusting to the power at the moment but luckily it's quite progressive for a single so quite forgiving of my lack of skills!

Bloody hell that's a fantastic result mate!!! What boost? I can't see the pics for some reason....

I think it was 1.5 bar

Yup, 1.5bar mate. I was quite surprised at the size of the gap between yours and mine to be honest as our builds are about as similar as it gets. The billet wheel must be moving a fair bit more air but it would be interesting to see yours on these cams to see what proportion of power is the turbo or the cams. I am slightly down on torque from you as well.

Awesome! I guess it makes it all the worthwhile when it is your own effort as well. :)

Fantastic work m8! its a wicked feeling when it pays off and even better when the work has been done by yourself.a pat on the back from me

Thanks guys, certainly worth doing it yourself although I can't take all the credit. With Paul's turbo kit it really is just nuts, bolts and common sense for the most part - quality piece of kit!

Great work fella, really pleased for you!!!!

Cheers Andy - won't be long until yours is done - you're gonna love it! :thumbs:

Great figures mate u must be over the moon :cool:

I am dude cheers! Last time I didn't quite get what I wanted so aimed lower this time and got higher :D

WOW it sounds amazing, well done on getting it sorted! stem seals in the snow! are you mentle lol

That was an experience, let me tell you - clutching many mugs of coffee just to keep my finger mobile! That was at the beginning of the build when I was dedicated - by the 6th month my motivation was dropping slightly so I'm glad I did that first!

Good work bud, how nerve racking is it seeing it on the dyno for the 1st time after you put it together:)

Was unbearable mate! Haven't felt like that since doing my driving test or Uni exams - it was me and my pride being tested as much as the car!

Thanks for the kind words people! Finished this build off nicely for me!