The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I think I'm just going to sell the supra now :-(

wallis

I've really enjoyed building my single after seven years of ownership however it was always on a limited budget and deadline!

After what i would class as some really foookin bad luck, it now appears my budgets gone dry and I have no time left to do anything now as my wife drops in 7 weeks and I'm busy with baby projects!

So the car was 100% finished.... Well if that's ever even possible!

Unfortunetly my build now has a faulty aem fic fitted, which after speaking to aem last week won't entertain anything other than chargeable repairs, so that's pretty much written that off as scrap.

So it basically will need a new ecu and re map to sort that problem out!

It has now also after 600 miles mulled the original 60000 miles stock auto box, from the powerlevels I was running, but I'm not 100% sure yet?

I had a good low millage spare but that's been robbed from my lock up so I cant even fit another one now untill I find a good sec hand one now!

So in a nut shell I just don't have the spare time or cash to finish the build of now due to higher priorities in life like babies and properties.

I can put the car back in storage for a year or just sell it, either way I'm totally gutted!

I'm honestly thinking of just selling it cheap for someone else to re finish it off so it can be used and enjoyed once again.

I'm not going to brake it for spares that's for sure, it would be like disecting your own child.....lol

I've spent thousands and thousands on this car, it has a great spec so I'm sure I would get a fairly good price for it?

It just needs a few more thousand spending on it to make it bullet proof with a new ecu and built autobox :-(

I'm thinking if I could get 11-12k I would sell it, is this realistic in the current climate?

Thoughts please guys.

Cheers

Edited by wallis (see edit history)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest wantthatone

i know it must hurt mate, but for someone to spend £12,000 on a car thats as you said un finished, i think is a little optimistic. put a cover on it, put it at the back of the lock up, & leave it there for another year, get yourself out. then when things return to a little normality , finish it yourself! the love will come back.

I personally think you'll struggle to sell a car that doesn't run unless you find a member on here who knows there are no problems, just parts to be replaced and they want to buy it as a project.

Sorry to hear you're having to sell and GLWS.

As above. Unless you find someone who really knows the car and exactly what the problems are, plus any additional unforseen problems, you will have your work cut out to find a buyer at that price. Even at £8 - 9K I doubt people would want to take on a project that could potentially be a money pit.

I would personally store it and start again but once you have children I doubt you will ever return to it and it's a fair chunk of money to have sat there wasting away.

Sorry to hear about this Wallis.

H.

I personally think you'll struggle to sell a car that doesn't run unless you find a member on here who knows there are no problems, just parts to be replaced and they want to buy it as a project.

Sorry to hear you're having to sell and GLWS.

Oh sorry I'm making this sound slightly worse than it is....the car runs and 90% of the time drives perfectly, ive just lost 4th gear and the ecu has an intermittent fault, but does need to be changed to resolve the problem.

It's not like a none runner it drives and pulls like a bull on steroids....lol

I'm still using the car almost everyday infact!

Edited by wallis (see edit history)

Oh sorry I'm making this sound slightly worse than it is....the car runs and 90% of the time drives perfectly, ive just lost 4th gear and the ecu has an intermittent fault, but does need to be changed to resolve the problem.

It's not like a none runner it drives and pulls like a bull on steroids....lol

Ahh, it sounded like it was dead and needed emergency surgery....lol..!!

Doubt many will want to take that on for the money you want tbh, I know you dont want to break it but that would be the best option financially imo.

Jaime what do u think it's worth if I just buy a replacement fic and replace the stock auto box and turn the boost down?

Jaime what do u think it's worth if I just buy a replacement fic and replace the stock auto box and turn the boost down?

Hard to say and i dont want to upset you, stock autobox and single dont mix well imo, people spend all that money and only have 60-80bhp over a decent bpu before the box gives up.

If you dont want to break all you can do is fix and try your luck at selling.

cud u not consider spending money to get back money uve already spent?

I don't think if I spend a few more grand on a built box and new ecu I would even sell, it's not an option finacially now!

A new box is only £100 odd and a new fic is £300 and the maps transferable, but boost would have to be turned down to continue with the set up.

Which I would be willing to do to sell the car.

Hard to say and i dont want to upset you, stock autobox and single dont mix well imo, people spend all that money and only have 60-80bhp over a decent bpu before the box gives up.

If you dont want to break all you can do is fix and try your luck at selling.

Yeah I really need a built box to make this build worth anything mate!

I know matt h still got his for sale as a kit, but I just can't afford it right now, I know the markets not great for supras at the moment so maybe I will just hold out for a while until I save some more pennies up!

i would honestly think about breaking it thats the only way to get any ££ back nowadays:( i came very close to doing it when mine went pop last year but i parked it up for a couple of months and got the love back im glad i did this in the end;)

Would you get anything like £11-£12k for it though if you broke it ?

Exactly mate, If my car was 100% I would want 14k for it, it's a low millage really nice example!

Everyone that's seen it has said it's a great looking car and I really have spent thousands on it ;-)

Nightmare Matt :( Personally Id store it away, an box swap is fairly straight forward, as is an ECU. The only safe way to handle those powerz is a manual or a built box.

To be honest craig i think i would rarther sell it than put it away for a year, its the worst thing you can do to any car, let alone an 18 year old one!

If i had another 2 grand spare i would buy a new fic to replace the old one and buy matt h's built auto box ;)

yup id store it to but as we all no times are hard so i can see your point however its like anything, as a buyer when you buy something you want it right but as people are saying if you can find someone who wants to take it on and can see some light at the end of the tunnel so to speak then happy days

Good luck with this

Edited by skippyboyo1 (see edit history)

This is going to sound bad but if I was buying I would be working out the maths and to get it fully sorted you will always look at worse case senerio:

£4k 6 speed manual

£1.5k motec

£1k mapping

£1k contingency

total of 7.5k. To complete it as a proper job. So thinking that £13k will get you a good single I would be looking to buy for around £4.5 to £6.5k

This is going to sound bad but if I was buying I would be working out the maths and to get it fully sorted you will always look at worse case senerio:

£4k 6 speed manual

£1.5k motec

£1k mapping

£1k contingency

total of 7.5k. To complete it as a proper job. So thinking that £13k will get you a good single I would be looking to buy for around £4.5 to £6.5k

M600 with loom was about 3 grand last time i looked, syvecs is a better option imo.