The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help with first Supra

Guest ryan_s3

Guest ryan_s3

Hi,

A good friend of mine is about to buy a L reg turbo supra from a local garage,I went to have a quick look at the car seems in quite good order ,it's a 40,000km rz auto with cruise and active spoiler.They want 9.5k.It has silver paintwork,although i think the front valance has had a respray and possible the bonnet?Everything else is standard about the car other than a electronic boost controller.It has non standard alloys and good zr rated tyres.Is there anything i can tell him to look for or if anyone lives in the leicester area that would be willing to have a look,would be appreciated as i'm not a expert on supra,thanks Ryan

IMHO £9.5k is the top of its price band on that plate on an auto. A manual would fetch that no probs. I dunno about others but mine has some serious stone chips in the areas you mentioned looking like they had been sprayed, If the rest of the paintwork is exemplory they might have had the bonnet blown over to keep it in line with the rest of the car. Tell ur mate to have a look on ebay at the prices (you will see the figures that cars are being offered not the prices people want in autotrader) and speak to some of the people here selling cars they will give you a realistic idea of what to pay for what car. One thing with the aftermarket alloys check the size of them they should comfortably have 255's on the rear and 235's on the front anything smaller on a TT is smaller than stock and again IMO a bad idea.

Guest ryan_s3

thanks for the reply,i will check the size of the tyres and see if there ok.If sure there must be some sort of grill missing out of the front spoiler as i can see straight to the radiator.It apparently runs ok(not been in myself) with no smoke.Would it be worth taking a boost guage just to check the two turbos?

Guest ryan_s3

thankfully it's not my money,but i'll pass on the suggestion.Thanks for letting me know about the grill.It's not like you can just give it a compression test!!

Guest ryan_s3

too late,my mates gone and bought it!!!the boost controller doesn't seem to be working,if i get it going i was thinking of running 1 bar and high boost boost of 1.15/1.2 bar,sound o.k?

Guest ryan_s3

yeah,i'll get him to join and post some pictures.Was thinking about getting a supra myself,but they don' seem to offer the thrill i'm looking for.

Originally posted by ryan_s3

yeah,i'll get him to join and post some pictures.Was thinking about getting a supra myself,but they don' seem to offer the thrill i'm looking for.

What kinda thrill you looking for then?

Jumping out of an aircraft without a parachute and taking a couple of silk worms with ya, hoping they spin a chute for you before you hit the ground?

:D :D :D

Originally posted by SupraStar 3000

What kinda thrill you looking for then?

Jumping out of an aircraft without a parachute and taking a couple of silk worms with ya, hoping they spin a chute for you before you hit the ground?

:D :D :D

Absolute top reply:thumbs:

Guest ryan_s3

don't get me wrong i like supras,but i don't want something that takes till 80 to get into full swing,i.e it's a luxury gt car with big top end power.which can't really be used due to crap mobile speedvans etc.It doesn't quite translate that raw sportscar feel but is still a outstanding car in it's own right.Now my mate has one(be it a auto) i may be convinced otherwise but we shall see.

Originally posted by ryan_s3

don't get me wrong i like supras,but i don't want something that takes till 80 to get into full swing,i.e it's a luxury gt car with big top end power.which can't really be used due to crap mobile speedvans etc.It doesn't quite translate that raw sportscar feel but is still a outstanding car in it's own right.Now my mate has one(be it a auto) i may be convinced otherwise but we shall see.

Errr, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds is taking until 80 to get into its swing is it? :conf: