The mkiv Supra Owners Club

clutchless shifting

Jellybean

I have driven at least 3 MKIV's many miles with no clutch, starting off on the starter, and changing up and down by matching the revs. So long as you DO match the revs no harm will occur, but if you DON'T match them expect to be fitting new synchros, and gears. I seem to recall driving my late mother's MKIII Cortina back from Devon to Manchester with no clutch when the cable snapped on it. FAST changes without the clutch will damage things, probably very badly.

Did this a few times due to fooked clutch lines. First time I did it I didn't even have a license :innocent: but had to get the girl that I was with home. I saw a recovery guy doing it YEARS ago and that was how I knew it could be done.

A bit pointless really other than for the 1/4 mile as far as I know. Your gearbox will take serious pain so if you really want to shift like that it's best to get a dogbox and do it right.

Tried it in the k10 micra; couldn't get her into any gear without reverting back to using the clutch hmmmm

Practice makes perfect :D

In first pull right up to 6krpm then pull the gearstick for 2nd. Don't pull too hard or the gears will grind. As the revs fall the drive speed will match the gear and it will clunk into place.

My dad got a call out one day several years ago, I was fourteen at the time if memory serves, to recover a 7.5 ton flat bed truck from the outskirts of Dublin (about 50 miles from us). The clutch had failed and the driver refused to nurse it home. So dad showed up with the 17.5 ton rigid recovery truck and as he was making a U-turn to end up on the same side of the dual carriageway as the flat bed the clutch in the recovery truck gave up the ghost also!

So I get a call from a rather irate Pops who informs me to get ready to be collected and brought up to this roadside gathering of clutchless classics so I could lend a hand getting them all home. He ended up using the clutchless 7.5 ton truck to tow the clutchless 17.5 ton truck back home with me at the helm steering and braking where necessary. Most of the journey was what you'd know as B roads by the way, with a few towns to be negotiated for good measure!

I had my fill of clutches by the end of that week, I can assure you.