The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stock autobox problems, too much torque?

wallis

As a few of you know I went single a while ago, but have the stock auto box.

When I went to use the car this week, I put it into drive and it kinda made a large clonk and lunged into gear on my driveway, I didn't really think that much of it until I started to drive off and it was almost slipping to start with like it wasn't ingaged in gear, it then found 1st but wouldn't change up in normal drive mode from first?

So I had a play putting it into 1st and 2nd manually and it changes up and down but is jurky not smooth like normally?

It appears now that I can only drive it with the Manu button on and only get 3 gears it doesn't go into overdrive at all?

I had the filters and gearbox oil changed less than 600 miles ago when I went single.

I was hoping the stock box could handle my power setup, but maybe I have toasted it allready?

Has anyone heard of this problem before and have I fooked the autobox on 600 miles and 520lbft of power already......lol

This could get expensive changing gearboxes every 600 miles!!!

Did you install a oil cooler for the gearbox when you went single?

I thought this was one of the must do's

Plus also perhaps your gearbox was on its last legs already?

On the plus side autoboxes are relatively cheap, get a nice one installed with a cooler and you should be ok after that, plus there is a built box on the for sales too

Mate I'm not a complete idiot.....lol

It's got a massive 19 row mocal cooler for the auto box, I've completely over engineered my build from the start, but the gearbox was always going to be the weak link on my build.

My box was strong and never missed a beat when it was twins 409bhp bpu, it's not even done 60000 miles yet!

Are you surprised it's slipping with the amount of torque your engine is producing? I thought it was well know the auto boxes can't really handle more than 400lb/ft without a lot of cooling or clutch/pressure mods

I think your right mate ....lol

Mate I'm not a complete idiot.....lol

I don't think anyone was calling you an idiot :) All I was saying is that it should be expected for it to break since your car is producing a *lot* of torque.

Were any line pressure mods done to the box? Has it still got shift retard built into the map? If not then this may be something to look into when you replace the box

I don't think anyone was calling you an idiot :) All I was saying is that it should be expected for it to break since your car is producing a *lot* of torque.

Were any line pressure mods done to the box? Has it still got shift retard built into the map? If not then this may be something to look into when you replace the box

I'm only messing mate ;-)

Please don't think I'm taking offense fella.

I've actually been told I might have the wrong fluid in the autobox, but it was done at afr so I havnt a clue what's in it?

It could be a quick fix, does seem strange?

I better get looking for a new box as my spares been robbed, gutted!