The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheel questions

Dgreig555

My current antera 18's are looking a bit shabby....[sAD][/sAD]

I'm told a 18fronts 19 rears is a very nice set up and would like to know exactly how wide I can go on the rears without modification to the arch?

Does this set up actually make a noticeable difference to performance?

Is it MOT legal?

Suggestions on wheel choices welcome

The car is a 94. Jp inport TT auto.

19" rears won't give you increased performance as you need to considerer all the other parts of the suspension with it being designed around 17" wheels.

I can hardly recall anyone on here having larger diameter wheels on the rear (maybe one or two).

If you want to know how wide you can go then do a search, it's already been asked many times.

It's legal as long as the wheel/tyre doesn't protrude from the wheel arch.

Pointess suggesting any wheels as there are thousands and I haven't got a clue what you like and how much you want to spend.

Defo will make a difference to the performance. In a not so desirerable way. If you just cruise up and down Main Street, it will probably give you the bling you might be looking for. But if you use your car and maybe trackday it a bit, stay away from it. Stick with a max of 18" and don't go wider than nessesary and stay as close to OEM offset to keep the suspension (as mentioned above; designed around 17") working optimally.

if the cars lowered you should be able to get some pretty wide rear 19's. but like bodilx6 said ive seen so many people comment of a lack of performance with them. you can get rear wider 18's (saw some stupidly wide custom made) but at the end of the day it will ruin handling unless you need extra grip due to huge amounts of power.

the width of your wheel should reflect the power of your car unless you just want to show it in which case performance considerations goes out the window.