The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bob's Supra at Invisible Touch

Stonkin

Hi,

Here we have Bob's Supra. I was lucky enough to do a protection detail on the car around February (i think!) last year. Its a stunning looking car and a credit to Bob, but this time he was looking for more time applied to the paintwork. The car was booked in for a stage 1 detail, which is not full correction, but to remove light swirls and enhance the finish.

Sadly i couldnt be there when Bob arrived as i was having a day playing with cars at Brooklands breakfast meeting which then by surprise turned into a stop on the way home to admire a prestigious car garage only to find they also owned a Porsche race team out the back with one of the most fantastic garages i have ever seen, let alone the race cars that were in there. Anyway, after Bob had been terrorised by our security Bulldog (Rocky) and his pals, the car was tucked into my garage and awaited my return.

So, this was his Supra on arrival

To start off, the tyres were sprayed in APC and wheels with Bilberry, then both agitated with a selection of brushes

Door/Boot shuts, fuel cap and rubber seals were cleansed with APC and small brushes

The vehicle was then snow foamed to loosen any dirt before being jetwashed off

Then the vehicle was washed using the 2 bucket method with Meguiars Shampoo Plus. Taken into the garage where it was dried and clayed. Very little contamination was removed during claying so Bob has been clearly been looking after her since i last did this :thumbs:

The car was then taken back outside and washed again the same as above. Back in the garage and paint thickness readings were taken. The lowest being mid 80's and the highest around 700 where a couple of previous repairs had occured.

Any edges of panels, window seals etc were taped up as i moved around the car to make the clean up after easier and more importantly not to burn them with the rotary

For polish i used Menzerna 106fa with the Makita rotary, 3M backing plate for flexibility and control and a 3M yellow polishing pad

Now a stage 1 is not full correction so some marks will still remain but below are some pictures taken as i worked around the Supra

Splitting the door to create a good line to work to and equally keeping the work area a suitable size to allow the polish to do its job properly. The tape as always was obviously removed for the second part to ensure all areas were done :)

The bonnet was broken into quarters and the scoop done seperately

The car was starting to take shape now

Moving round to the passenger door

Then the rear wing

The carbon section of the TRD spoiler was in fairly good shape swirl wise. However, as easily happens with carbon, the finish was starting to oxidise and haze over. These areas, as with paintwork, are very important to keep protected with sealants or waxes

Once all areas has been machined, the car was dusted down and wiped down with an IPA solutione to remove polishing oils

I then applied Dodo Lime Prime Lite glaze / pre-wax cleanser

1 application of Victoria Concourse wax was then applied

The wheels were sealed with Poorboys sealant and tyres dressed with Endurance Gel

Leaving this

The NUR Spec was polished with NXT

All door/boot rubbers were then treated with Bumper Care to restore colour and help prevent them from drying out

As were the plastic on the rear lights, boot struts, door sills and front plate holder

The interior was dusted down, hoovered and glass polished. Finally plates returned before collecting Bob.

These were the final pics

Wow dude, looked good to begin with.. Black always comes out best in my opinion. Fantastic job as always.

Just one question thats always bugged me! You put the rubber care stuff on last over the plastics etc. How do you do it without getting it over the paintwork and smearing?

Wow dude, looked good to begin with.. Black always comes out best in my opinion. Fantastic job as always.

Just one question thats always bugged me! You put the rubber care stuff on last over the plastics etc. How do you do it without getting it over the paintwork and smearing?

Using a small applicator, a steady hand and plenty of practice :) If any does go on the paintwork it is wiped off.