The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best All in one electronic info readout..

cje001

All,

Didn't really know what to put in the title!

I guess people usually use standard gauges to see oil temp/pressure, boost, afr, egt etc...

The question is - is there an electronic product out there which can read all these and display them on a screen without having to mangle the interior of the car full of gauges?

Sorry if this has been posted before but couldn`t find anything...

Thanks

Chris

If you look on Racecarsdirect you sometimes see Stack dash kits going cheap. I got a whole new package for my Skyline off there for very sensible money, last year. Not state of the art, but more than adequate. Motec is better, with much better logging, but eye wateringly expensive. My red Zeus came with a top of the range Motec dash paid for by its previous American owner, and it was over £7k with all the sensors and options.

Dash2 has sensor inputs to run standalone, also has can or serial for either ECU, datalogger or both for additional input, I run the Dash2 with fuel sender plumbed direct, also have CAN from ECU and serial from a DL1 datalogger.

Dash2 has sensor inputs to run standalone, also has can or serial for either ECU, datalogger or both for additional input, I run the Dash2 with fuel sender plumbed direct, also have CAN from ECU and serial from a DL1 datalogger.

So in the case of the Dash 2, would I be right in saying you wouldn't get speed or revs etc, only the inputs you put in such as oil pressure/temp etc?

Do all these gadgets work with the stock ECU? Or do they take their information from seperate sensors?

I was always under the impression that an aftermarket ECU was required.

I *think* both is the answer for all of them, if it's VVTi with OBDII they can hook up to that or they can connect to additional sensors. The HKS CAMP II would be a good option if using an HKS F-CON V Pro as it's designed to be fully integrated.

With the Dash 2 you can hook up the stock rpm and speed signals, or you can get them from the ECU connection if you have a supported aftermarket ECU. It has inputs for 4 analogue inputs plus speed and rpm and ones for the indicators, main beam etc warning lights that are built in. If you want the odo and trip counter on the Dash 2 to work (in other words if you want to use it on the road) you have to hook the stock speed signal in since the odo only works from that. If you just want speed for track use you can use just the ECU input. It reads various stuff from the ECU interface depending on which ECU it is.

If you want to hook more stuff up and you don't have an aftermarket ECU you can buy the DL1 which is a data logger. That has a load more inputs which it can send to the Dash 2 via its serial interface. You then would also get lap timing, predictive lap times etc as the DL1 has GPS.

Which one is best depends on what you have. If you have an aftermarket ECU then the Stack is not a good buy because it doesn't have an ECU interface so you'd have to tap into each sensor manually (which may not work anyway) or use extra ones. The Motec ones are great but 4 times the price at least of the Dash 2. Or there are the AIM ones which are also good but double the price of the Dash 2.

Edited by SimonB (see edit history)

Is there a reason I never see plx devices recommended? I use them and think they're pretty impressive. daisychain 32 sensors together. monitor up to 4 on a 52mm(£140) or 60mm display(£180). With the r800 datalogger(£180) you can datalog funnily enough and also monitor several more. I can't see anything they're missing. but I don't mind being put right :) Though the ecu plug and play ones are obdII which I gather isn't what the supra uses? The modules also output in analogue as an extra. The modules range from £80-£120ish with sensors. You can also monitor the sensors on standalone gauge(£60)

Rob

The only downside to plx I can see is they can get pretty pricey when you add it all up, I guess its the same with all of them...

Though I just won 2x dm200 displays and 2x dm-5 displays on ebay. retail £500+ for £129 posted, chances of them arriving? I'm reckoning somewhere between zero and zilch....

I do need loads more bits and will spend a lot with the retailer to make up for it. and they have 100% feedback, but I still won't hold my breath.....

TThe only thing missing from the plx dm range is fuel pressure which they said they were going to bring out ages ago & never have.

Yeah I was watching that with interest, I got bored a couple of years ago though. It is a shame that they never got on with it