The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The tale of the elusive screw....

neo2810

My morning routine was seriously disrupted today!!

As I pulled out of my estate in the Supra, my car horn decided to activate continuously and scare the shit out of the neighbours and myself. A quick about turn and battery disconnection later and harmony was restored.

So, I began what should have been a 3 minute job to reseat the steering wheel earth....... hmmm, should have been....

The wheel came off easily enough, but muggins left the screws on the centre console and during the repair process, managed to knock one of them into the handbrake opening. Not to worry, I'll just remove the console trim and retrieve it. Ya, as if... Said screw had an agenda of it's own. It waited patiently until I was flexed just above it and ready to finger pincer it to safety when it spontaneously vibrated itself off the edge and down into the centre console itself. By this time i was getting slightly annoyed with the world, and paused long enough to tell it that. It ignored me largely...

So back to removing the entire centre console where I spotted the little $$%£.... "&&^..... ##'*& .... screw wedged just between the console and top of the carpet. So I carefully peel back the carpet and attempt my signature finger pincer move again only to watch the screw wiggle itself deeper into the carpet and out of sight.

With no access to this area of the carpet, it dawned on me that the only soution was to remove the driver's seat. FOR A SCREW!!!!

Ok, so an hour after my first attempt to leave for work, I had the centre console trim, the centre console, the drivers seat, and one of the driver side seat rails sitting next to my car while I fished around under the carpet for the offending metal. Needless to say, this time it had nowhere to go and quietly surrendered to my super finger pincer move (note this time I upgraded to super pincer since the standard pincer move had failed twice before, quite ingenious I thought)... So, with screw safely back in it's hole, I quickly replaced all my car's internals and trundled off to work, only an hour and a half late.

DAMN YOU FAT FINGERS!!!

Should buy a telescopic magnet (little magnet on the end of a "pen" that's telescopic and extends to about 1 metre) in case it happens again.

I have a few dotted around the house/garage for times like these.

:yeahthat: Can't count how many times it saved me frustration when working in the garage :D

Should buy a telescopic magnet (little magnet on the end of a "pen" that's telescopic and extends to about 1 metre) in case it happens again.

I have a few dotted around the house/garage for times like these.

Funny that all the best advice always comes after the fact :)

I could't have driven anywhere knowing the screw was there, mocking me, hidden in its carpet cave like a talibanny waiting for its moment to strike, most probably by scratching against the car and making an annoying scraping sound. Good dedication mate, down with the Taliban and the screw!