The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyota Main Dealers

QSC

What is it with main dealers - how dumb do they think we all are ?

"I'd like a battery for a 95 Supra please - import but with UK size terminals"

10 mins later - "That'll be £15 odd please"

"No, that's for the terminal only"

10 mins later "That'll be £321 please"

"No it won't, it's £80 in Halfords"

"Well we can do a replacement one for £70, but you'll have to bring the car in"

"I can't, it's got no battery...or wheels"

"Can't you get it towed in ?"

"No - why anyway ?"

"We have to be sure it's the right battery"

"It's a supra turbo - they're all the same"

"We can't take the chance"

"I'll just go to Halfords then"

Jesus Christ almighty :Pling:

Sounds about right, i had a discussion about blank keys, i needed a key, gave them the vin and I.D showing them it was my car, they said "how do we know you are the owner, can you bring the car here?", um, i have my reg documents with my name and address on, i have my drivers licence with my face and same address on, the car has NO INTERIOR! it isnt going anywhere. useless....

HAHA.. You do wonder if they actually know what there on about sometimes.. I went in to toyota when i first got my supra.. i asked them to fix my air-con ( was faulty) .. the mechanic told me supras never came with A/C !!! I was in total shock that a person could be soooooo Stupid to not even check the cars specs before working on it !!!

Well here overseas its even worse as there are few supras. Went to Toyotadealer far from my home because they had told me the owner did supraracing and knew the cars very well. I just needed a cambelt change, but once he popped the hood he gave me that look and asked "why did you take the turbos out?"

I responded "i didn't, it's a N/A, it comes without turbos"

He called some other guys working there and all started laughing and then the boss finally said "i think you got ripped off dude"

I was really frustrated and just asked price for a cambelt change allready knowing i would never bring my car to that garage.

Well here overseas its even worse as there are few supras. Went to Toyotadealer far from my home because they had told me the owner did supraracing and knew the cars very well. I just needed a cambelt change, but once he popped the hood he gave me that look and asked "why did you take the turbos out?"

He called some other guys working there and all started laughing and then the boss finally said "i think you got ripped off dude"

Quality response!

My local Toyota told me they wouldn't change my wheel bearings as it wasn't worth it (I told them I already had the hubs off too) because they'd need to order in a special part costing £500 to do it. Went to a garage up the road and they pressed the old ones out and new ones in for 60 quid.

Sums up the robotic, bull shit, beautocratic world we live in - human beings are having all the 'human' removed from them.

I used to be like this when i worked for a large company, i got made redundant (was looking for a new job anyway and got paid off well) and i started my own business - nothing better, no better decision have i ever made.

I hate procedures and process and all that crap!!!

RANT over ;)

I was really frustrated and just asked price for a cambelt change allready knowing i would never bring my car to that garage.

that boiled my blood just reading that! they no nothing!

Didn't someone on here take their Supra to a Toyota dealer and had one of the mechanics come out and say "Nice car. What is it?"?

I seem to recall it was one of the mods.

I believe I know the man you speak of? :D

To be fair I thought the Op did well to actually have a conversation with them using sentences and stuff.

Except there is Steve Manley @ Inchcape Toyota (Oxford) who totally knows his stuff :)

Edited by Lbm (see edit history)

What is it with main dealers - how dumb do they think we all are ?

Which one was it?

Didn't someone on here take their Supra to a Toyota dealer and had one of the mechanics come out and say "Nice car. What is it?"?

I seem to recall it was one of the mods.

Might have been me back in the day.

I went to Toyota a couple of months ago, asked for a price on the aerotop seals and the seals that go around the fronta pillars and roof and the rear seal that goes up and over the roof, he goes tapping away and says 'Yeah we can do them, it'll only take 2 weeks to get them and it'll be £600', I couldn't see how they justified this so didn't bother getting them, then a month later when I was in Austin in the states I rang a local Toyota dealership that a few of the guys I met over there recommended, told them what I want, he goes tapping away and comes back with 'Yup, we have them in stock, they'll be $205' I snapped them up of course.

When I bought my silver Sup i went to the Crawley dealer, i only wanted touch up paint, the chap came out to get the VIN despite me giving him the paint code, he walked up to the supra and said "we only do toyota, we are a toyota dealership, you will have to take it to Nissan", i looked at him and pointed out the toyota badge on the rear, he said "what is it? an old celica?", i pointed out that if he doesn't know what it is i wont be taking it to them for anything mechanical. not that i would anyway, he got all cocky saying he knows everything about every Toyota made, he looked about 18. looser and useless.

The Northampton one isn't bad. Apart from the prices. Lol, new active spoiler blade gave me a heart attack.

The parts bit is out the back near the garage doors and I couldn't find a place to park so had to drive past the workshop to turn arround. The mechanics came out to have a look. One guy in the used car dept came out and had a chat another time because he remembers selling them and wanting one but never got one. One of the young parts guys drives a modded mr2 aswell.

I've seen a stickered up drift mkii in the carpark also

Shocked at some of the posts here. My local dealer isn't the cheapest but they have always been spot on for parts. They have a discount scheme for parts and labour based on the age of your car (10% off parts and 40% off labour) and if you go in with the part number from the EPC they will order stuff for you over the phone wih no dicking about. They can usually get normal consumable parts in 24 hours even for imports. They keep my frame number on my records so I never have to bring the car in for anything, and most of the psrts desk guys know me and my car as soon as I ring up.

My dealer almost refused to order me a front badge because the car was an import, even with part number and chassis code etc.

They were unsuccessful in ordering both the top and bottom halves of the boot rubber set. I still have no bottom ones. Useless.

I used to get this all the time with the MR2 turbo, either "It must be a conversion as they were all NA's" or when i made the mistake of ordering parts from the Celica GT4 of the same engine and year and saying it was for an MR2 turbo...... can of worms opened right there.

Best response I ever had was from a local Hadleigh Tyres, alternator popped so needed a recon one fitted asap. The bloke (late 50's) proceeded to pop the front bonnet only to see a spare wheel and a battery. When i pointed out that the engine was in the back he said "you young people modify your cars so much these days you never know where things are going to be".

Oh dear.