The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Any cars ever try to race you on the roads?

Stewart10

I was on the M5 southbound over the weekend travelling in lane 3 behind a couple of other cars waiting to get by. All of a sudden some crap looking 4x4 comes up close behind and flashes his lights to try to get me to move over. I had cars in front of me so there was no way that was gonna happen, so, as I hate having that done to me the first thing I did was activate the windscreen wash (nothing worse than that on the motorway when you've just cleared your screen!!lol). Then I waited about another min or 2 for the lane to clear and floored it, the 4x4 wasn't even in sight so I'm not sure why he even bothered. I drive an N/A and I think that is when my car is at it's best at the top end. I'm not a speeder but that driver really annoyed me at the time.

Do people do this as a power thing to try to scare you out of lane? Anyone had this done to them and then lost miserably?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get middle aged guys in saloons trying to race quite often. I've had a couple do it on a dual carriageway near my house. Both times the eejit overtook me then got in front and slammed the brakes on then floored it off.

It annoys me because it's extremely dangerous and they must think they have something to prove.

Saying that, I had some guy try and race me as I passed him on the M5 (going north bound - home). He was in a convertible MX-5 with his woman in the passenger seat. He went for the undertake so I put my foot about halfway down in 6th and left him for dust.

Goons...

Nothing worse than a 4x4 trying to bully its way through. I tend to slow right down and really annoy them :D

This happened to me 2 days ago. Guy sat right up my chuff and then flashed his lights while we were on the M74 passing lorries. Happens all the time, they want everyone to move out of their way even though we all have the same goal in mind. I dropped the speed right down to 60 to match the speed of the lorry next to me. I could see the rage building in the rear view so after a couple of mins I pulled up to 70(ish) like I normally would and overtook the last remaining lorries. Drove home as normal noticing that he was following me. I decided not to drive home (just in case) so just pulled into a quiet little area just away from where I stay. I pulled the car up to the side of the road, he pulled in behind and proceeded to get out. I can only guess he thought I was someone else as when I got out the car to see what he was after he about turned and literally ran back :innocent:

I guess guys like me don't normally drive wee fords lol.

Undertaking is nowhere near as dangerous or disruptive as sticking in the middle or outside lane.

Totally agree, if someone can undertake you with ease then you are clearly hogging the lane (or someone in front of you is). Middle lane drivers are a nightmare, they slow the roads down something rotten and yet shake their fists in demonstration when you want past them.

Totally agree, if someone can undertake you with ease then you are clearly hogging the lane (or someone in front of you is). Middle lane drivers are a nightmare, they slow the roads down something rotten and yet shake their fists in demonstration when you want past them.

Totally agree.

Not really had many race type situations in any big Toyotas Ive owned, but I owned a lovely Pug 309gti years back and was always getting challenged in that.

I've always called the Supra a Tw@t Magnet as it always seems to attract them whether in town (Corsas up the Chutney Chute) or on the motorway (cocks in Audis, Beemers etc) right up the arris. I just ease my speed off, quick dab of the brakes and carry on. It's unusual for me to be going 'slow' on a motorway anyway so somebody up my chuff is asking for a sharp dab of the brakes - always amusing to watch their head dip towards the dashboard!! I hate tailgaters, it's downright dangerous and pointless. If the inside lane is clear and the road ahead is clear, that's where I go.

Been driving the TT everyday and it's just c0cks everywhere, starting to really p1ss me off to be honest, this morning I had a lad in a new Mini Cooper trying to goad me into a race, I mean WTF is he expecting to happen? Does he really think a) I would actually waste my time and fuel on a Mini and b) That he would even stand the slightest chance. Yesterday night I had a guy in a 996 carrera right up beside me trying to get me to have a go against him, I thought fair enough as I am unsure on the Porsches and how quick they are, I won by a considerable amount, he then came up beside me to get me to go again, I shook my head at him to say no as I had already beaten him by so much that the possibility of a different outcome was slim to none, but he just stayed there and kept lurching his car forward like I would change my mind, eventually he stuck his middle finger up at me and drove off.

Oh and on Saturday night I was driving back through town after a 21st b'day and I had a bunch of Chavs trying to race me through the centre of town, each time I stopped at the lights, they would be there revving then wheel spinning and making loads of noise from a cr@ppy euro hatchback, we got to the next set of lights and they were hanging out the window shouting 'boot it', however, I informed them that a) I had nothing to prove b) I am not speeding through the centre of town and c) there is currently a police car sat behind them that has been following them doing wheelspins, so the lights went green, I drove off, they got pulled over.

Everywhere I go, I just get complete idiots trying to challenge me.

I get alot of granny's challenging me in my K10 Micra, bring it on !!! I also tend to get a few BMW drivers too, Lets just say the Micra is the utimate driving machine. BMW 0 Micra 3. They only get me on the straight but not in the cornors; they just cant keep up !!!

In the Supra, nobody really comes near me generally people just move out of the way but in the Micra it is every person for themselfs.

Bring it Bitches, I dont care if your 60

I refuse to race.

Mostly as i have an N/A and would probably lose

When i had my TT i would only "boot it" if the car i was against was newish. I have a kind of mental happyness thing when you smash a 20k car into the ground with a 15 year old toyota.

Case in point focus ST.

If I ever take the Skyline to Oulton by driving it on the road I can almost guarantee a rep in something new will want to have a go. Tempting as it sometimes is I drive like a granny on the road, so resist. The worst car was the wife's 928 which always seemed to encourage young males to want to have a dice with her. She resisted too, which was probably a good thing given what an underpowered, under braked floppy lemon it was :)

Been driving the TT everyday and it's just c0cks everywhere, starting to really p1ss me off to be honest, this morning I had a lad in a new Mini Cooper trying to goad me into a race, I mean WTF is he expecting to happen? Does he really think a) I would actually waste my time and fuel on a Mini and b) That he would even stand the slightest chance. Yesterday night I had a guy in a 996 carrera right up beside me trying to get me to have a go against him, I thought fair enough as I am unsure on the Porsches and how quick they are, I won by a considerable amount, he then came up beside me to get me to go again, I shook my head at him to say no as I had already beaten him by so much that the possibility of a different outcome was slim to none, but he just stayed there and kept lurching his car forward like I would change my mind, eventually he stuck his middle finger up at me and drove off.

Oh and on Saturday night I was driving back through town after a 21st b'day and I had a bunch of Chavs trying to race me through the centre of town, each time I stopped at the lights, they would be there revving then wheel spinning and making loads of noise from a cr@ppy euro hatchback, we got to the next set of lights and they were hanging out the window shouting 'boot it', however, I informed them that a) I had nothing to prove b) I am not speeding through the centre of town and c) there is currently a police car sat behind them that has been following them doing wheelspins, so the lights went green, I drove off, they got pulled over.

Everywhere I go, I just get complete idiots trying to challenge me.

Ha ha, I bet that porsche driver was gutted, you made his car look shit lol. I would of wound my window down and said, here m8 if I we're u I'd px that for a ben 10 scateboard, I hear they're quite fast lol, that would piss him off.

I've not had anyone try it on in the supra yet but my Skyline was an absolute fanny magnet (sadly not the good type), it's as if the GTR badge was a shining beacon of light for nobheads to aim for. After the rebuild run-in and before it's final mapping I had a rather noticable overfuelling issue, a quick dab of WOT and lift-off resulted in a 3 foot flame from the exhaust which usually saw the gap between me and the car behind increase somewhat ;)

My na got way more attention than my tt does.

I hate people who move from lane to lane every few hundred yards.

I tend to sit in the outside lane doing the speed of other trafic. Pulling in when I can carry on with same speed without having to slow or move back again after a few seconds. But some people seem to have ants in there pants and can't sit still. Not undertaking just buzzing backward and forward.

My na got way more attention than my tt does.

I hate people who move from lane to lane every few hundred yards.

I tend to sit in the outside lane doing the speed of other trafic. Pulling in when I can carry on with same speed without having to slow or move back again after a few seconds. But some people seem to have ants in there pants and can't sit still. Not undertaking just buzzing backward and forward.

My god this is the most anouying thing on the road that people do, or where they go so slow that they think they can just do a manuver with out indicating

I had a 306 up my arse the other day... bloody annoying. So I put my foot down to get him off my case (not to race) but the bastard managed to overtake me. A 306...

I put it down to me having one less cylinder working right now though... that equals a loss of 90% of the power I don't have in the first place. :)

My cars been a drag lately.

Edited by Attero (see edit history)