The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help my Car is eating Tyres

JakeG

Noticed that my supra is goin through tyres like wildfire, got new 19" rims off Ellis and came with two basically new rear tyres on them, put them on the car in late Febuary and today I checked the tyres and they are bald, my previous rims done this also but I wasn't exactly easy on them, but with these rims I said to myself I'm going to save these to see how long they last, so here we are from late Febuary to 18th April basically brand new rear tyres are bald with me driving the car very easy about 4 days a week 16mile a day to work and back

Any ideas lads? Would a wheel alignment test sort this out??

Ellis could confirm the make off them I'm unsure, it seems to be more the inside but then all off a sudden the whole thing goes bald if that makes sense

Rears were Avon ZZ3, virtually new. Fronts were Conti Sport Contact 2s but were low on tread anyway.

Right wages come at end of the month, getting a geometry setup done, what price am I expecting for one of those? £10 :D

My local place is £65 full geo check and setup, plus any extra labour for seized parts etc.

Looking at those, I'd guess you're either:

A) running a bit too much negative camber, and have worn the tyres down well past the legal limit (with no external factors)

B) running too much camber, and your tyre pressures are too high. (though the fairly consistent wear across much of the tyre doesn't lend itself to that scenario)

Only going from my own experience, I'm sure you're geo check will reveal all :)

Dnk I'm not sure what they were at mate, when I put them on at local wheel centre they put the air in them, any ideas what sort of pressure should I be running on 19" rims?

I run 36 all round , rears last me 12 months for daily driving (60 miles a Day roughly); Fronts are still on there about 2 years 2 months now but I need to get new ones

I have 9.5 19 front (235/245 width) and 10.5 19 rears (275 width)

**Toyota recommend you run 36 psi

Miy tyres are Goodyear Eagle F1

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Well just to update, I went to get the geo setup done and they couldn't do it because the rear camber bolts were seized solid, so took it back to the garage and had to cut the bolts out along with the bushes which perished, so I had to order some polyflex bushes and they arived on Monday, once fitted I took the car to get the geo done and it was no problem, cost £48 for the full setup and the car now drives like new, was pretty suprised at how much difference drive wise the setup made