The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Steering column play/ratchet loose

Marcus GTE

Seen a thread from a few years ago about shaky steering wheels but they didn't seem to be addressing the problem I've been having.

Since getting the car last year i've been annoyed at up and down play in the steering wheel and after getting an mot advisory regarding it I thought it was time to get the trim off and have a look.

The problem comes from the ratchet used for adjusting the steering column up and down. When engaged is seems to still let it move up and down a bit. After looking at it for a while it seems that the left ratchet is sticking on the release position when you ask it to re-lock. Seems to have greese that has started to go quite hard and sticky. I persuaded it to push in to fit securely with my finger and it gives a noticeable click into place. This solves the up and down movement by about 90% and is a quick fix if I don't use the tilt leaver again, however it would be good to sort it propperly.

Anyone had problems with this themselves and had a go at fixing it?

Cheers

ps this should be under technical- sorry

Edited by Marcus GTE
Wrong place (see edit history)