The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tankslapper

Samurai 20V

Almost messed up on the way home today in the Supie..

It just started to spit with rain, road was moist, turned at a 4 way stop, onto the middle lane, stepped on the gas while on the white line I presume, back kicked left, corrected, it kicked right and then straightened up...Luckily no cars nearby..

My tyres are not the best (Dunlop Lemans) but lesson learnt...

Respect the Supra..

Needless to say I drove home very slowly...

Thats what surprised me, I hardly was on the gas...

It's mainly down to the fact that the wide rear tires just like to sit on top of water, I spun out once in my old N/A and I wasn't on the gas at all, just went round a roundabout, let off the gas and as I was going round it, out came the backend, I started countersteering and feathering the throttle, however, I knew I wasn't going to be able to straighten it out and stop it by the time I was up behind the traffic so I just let it go and just mounted a kurb backwards with no damage luckily.

I crawl in the wet now.

It's mainly down to the fact that the wide rear tires just like to sit on top of water, I spun out once in my old N/A and I wasn't on the gas at all, just went round a roundabout, let off the gas and as I was going round it, out came the backend, I started countersteering and feathering the throttle, however, I knew I wasn't going to be able to straighten it out and stop it by the time I was up behind the traffic so I just let it go and just mounted a kurb backwards with no damage luckily.

I crawl in the wet now.

The weather was tops this morning so I used the car, bloody storm came from nowwhere..

It was a lucky escape... Made me think though, how does the cars with 600hp plus stay on the road?

The weather was tops this morning so I used the car, bloody storm came from nowwhere..

It was a lucky escape... Made me think though, how does the cars with 600hp plus stay on the road?

They don't drive in the wet. :)

Or just dont use boost. You just be gentle with the throttle. I've never spun my bpu or been close. Span my na on a dry sunny day because I was being stupid.

They don't drive in the wet. :)

Or just dont use boost. You just be gentle with the throttle. I've never spun my bpu or been close. Span my na on a dry sunny day because I was being stupid.

Figured that much lol..

Yeah, after the incident I just drove home off boost...Car behaved itself..

Lucky escape, glad it wasn't worse.

I'd suggest finding somewhere big and open where you can safely test/learn the grip levels of the car in different conditions. Ideally you want to get to the point where you can safely handle the car in all conditions without it catching you out and if it does catch you out what to do.

THIS THREAD is well worth a read.

If the driver tries to use that 600+hp all the time in all conditions, then the car will fall off the road at the first opportunity. Handling and grip levels are identical on a 220hp 2JZ-GE and a 600+hp 2JZ-GTE, it is a lot easier to lose rear traction with the higher hp car, but that is all down to the driver, his right foot and how/when he uses the available power.

Wheels/Tyre choice, suspension setup, geometry setup and brake setup are the keys to getting the best available grip from the car, that would be where I'd spend the money before pushing for a 600+hp car.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Lucky escape, glad it wasn't worse.

I'd suggest finding somewhere big and open where you can safely test/learn the grip levels of the car in different conditions. Ideally you want to get to the point where you can safely handle the car in all conditions without it catching you out and if it does catch you out what to do.

THIS THREAD is well worth a read.

If the driver tries to use that 600+hp all the time in all conditions, then the car will fall off the road at the first opportunity. Handling and grip levels are identical on a 220hp 2JZ-GE and a 600+hp 2JZ-GTE, it is a lot easier to lose rear traction with the higher hp car, but that is all down to the driver, his right foot and how/when he uses the available power.

Wheels/Tyre choice, suspension setup, geometry setup and brake setup are the keys to getting the best available grip from the car, that would be where I'd spend the money before pushing for a 600+hp car.

Thanks Nic, you definitely make sense.. Need to track down somewhere big in Japan to learn the car. I plan on going to the track soon, so before I do would like to et some practice, will give that thread a good read in the meantime..

I am gonna be modding past BPU in the future so it will pay dividends to get the car and driver setup before the power comes in...

Thanks Nic, you definitely make sense.. Need to track down somewhere big in Japan to learn the car. I plan on going to the track soon, so before I do would like to et some practice, will give that thread a good read in the meantime..

I am gonna be modding past BPU in the future so it will pay dividends to get the car and driver setup before the power comes in...

You might want to consider fitting Racelogic Traction Control it's a very popular, safe and effective system, it's not a replacement for good car control but if the car does unexpectedly lose rear traction it can make the difference between completely losing control and staying in control. I used RLTC on my own car and would definitely recommend it.

If future plans include an aftermarket ECU, there are some that can also handle traction control.

Your not brave enough then :) or should I say man enough :)

Just park it. Turn the wheel 1/4 turn and burry your right foot. Usually works

I had a good few goes at some slides last week on large grass car parks (empty) that I found. Had a lot of fun. The missus didn't enjoy it so much though... ;)

You might want to consider fitting Racelogic Traction Control it's a very popular, safe and effective system, it's not a replacement for good car control but if the car does unexpectedly lose rear traction it can make the difference between completely losing control and staying in control. I used RLTC on my own car and would definitely recommend it.

If future plans include an aftermarket ECU, there are some that can also handle traction control.

Will definitely consider it...Thks..

Your not brave enough then :) or should I say man enough :)

Just park it. Turn the wheel 1/4 turn and burry your right foot. Usually works

I did it with my wide wheels easy. It's almost certainly down to me not giving it enough kick and turn, but there's so much difference in grip between my wide wheels and my stocks.

believe it or not he did that in a car park and he just drove round in a circle quickly :D

lolololol :D

Never really had a problem with mine on stock 17's, even when booting it in the wet. Sometimes it steps out but nothing to get worried about.

The only time when its really affected me was when my tires were well warn (about the legal limit!) and then it tried to kill me on mini roundabouts :( .

Never really had a problem with mine on stock 17's, even when booting it in the wet. Sometimes it steps out but nothing to get worried about.

The only time when its really affected me was when my tires were well warn (about the legal limit!) and then it tried to kill me on mini roundabouts :( .

My tyres are not the best, that could be part of the problem.. There are many painted lines on the road in Japan, that makes driving in the wet a bit of a challenge..