The mkiv Supra Owners Club

rear caliper question

Guest NiceGuyEddy

Guest NiceGuyEddy

Hi guys

Been a while since I posted here but still driving and loving the supra. :) Was hoping someone might be able to post a suggestion where I can get a new rear offside caliper for a 1995 JDM SZ-R? Unfortunately it's reached the end of its life and has decided to clamp itself tightly to the brake disc.

Any help much appreciated ;)

Cheers

Sorry to hijack, but how does a caliper reach the end of its life? surely popping the piston, cleaning and a service kit would make it as good as new? or am I missing something?

Mine occasionally 'binds' for want of a better word a good clean and winding the piston in and out cures it for 6mnths, I am in need of some new seals though.

Guest NiceGuyEddy

Interesting point Robzki. :D My first post was meant to mean the caliper has come to the end of its natural life ;) I've looked at some of these refurb kits as well as refurbished/remanufactured calipers but was just generally unsure how long the caliper would last for afterwards. :( Anyone any experience of refurbing their own calipers and how long they generally last for or is the cheap (second hand) option best or just go for a new caliper the way forward? I've been quoted £270 for a new caliper with £90 refund for refurbishable caliper so far. Any thoughts?

Don't bother replacing it bud, I went through a few (probably unlucky) and with a second hand one you don't know how long you're going to get out of it. I got a refurb kit from Toyota a couple of years ago now and they've never given me any bother since. From memory it was about £50 from Steve Manley (search members section for a number for him, he works in Toyota parts dept and does discount for members).