The mkiv Supra Owners Club

piston rings

dr_jekyll

hi gents,

just looking for confirmation that the 2jz gte and ge piston rings are the same.

also if anybody could pointme towards a tidy set of rings that would be great. i have seen many sets on u.s. sites from as little as $80 but im a bit doubtfull.

one more thing, what would be the advantage of gettind over size rings? would they be harder to fit? and what size are the oems

thanks

If the stock rings have to go in a certain way up they will definitely have a mark stamped or etched on the top of them. Oil rings can go either way up. Very occasionally you will find stepped rings, the step has to go a certain way, and just sometimes the top isn't marked, you need to read the shop manual. This doesn't apply to stock 2JZ rings, which aren't stepped. Haven't you got the shop manual for the engine?

no i dont have the manual , the nippon 1st rings are stepped but have no instuction on what way the step goes . i have just snapped one removing them to check so the are now irrelivant anyway.

while we are hear i have noticed the 2 sets of big end shells i have also differ , one set has a hole atleast 1mm larger than the other set , any ideas why this would be ? both toyota parts

One set of main shells is I can't remember where it goes, but It's also a different width I think, and obvious where it goes when the engine is stripped. The big end shells are probably from different periods. I'd use the smaller hole aet, assuming the hole is fully uncovering the feed to the oil splash hole in the rods, as it will give more bearing area. In 99% of applications the step of the ring is uppermost.

cheers,

ok 1 final question.

im a bit confused on the order the rings go on. on the bags of rings they are marked 1st and 2nd . now after reading the workshop manual it says;

code mark.

no1 = 1n

no2 = 2n

but the 1n rings were in the bag marked 2nd and the 2n rings were in the bag marked first. so an i rite in thing the 2n rings are in the 1st bag to indicate the order they are fitted rather than indicating it is the first/top ring ?