The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheel Refurb Woes

Matt H

After a number of years, I thought it time to freshen up my Weds.

I took my car to a place in Chester to have all 4 wheels refurbed, and while I was at it, get the brake calipers done too. I was estimated about a month turn around as they were using a new company that had a machine that could polish the wheels back to bling. That was over 2 months ago now :(

The problem the refurbers have is with this polishing company they're using. They said they needed a new clamp to hold the rims into place as they're quite large. A few promises from this company later and the job isn't done yet. It's really frustrating as the weathers coming better now and I'm fed up of waiting and phoning up for updates :(

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were me, I'd be getting my wheels back ASAP.

It's pretty tricky when they are in seperate pieces in different locations.

It is pretty unreasonable to expect you to wait 2 months. I'm going to be getting my wheels refurbed and i'd be annoyed if it took longer than 2 weeks, although they are only stock ones.

The problem is it's not the refurbers that are causing the delay, so it's hard to give them a hard time about it. I don't know how pushy they are being with the sub contractors though. I was preperared to wait it's a pretty recent technique for polishing and then sealing the rims, but it's getting silly now.

It's pretty tricky when they are in seperate pieces in different locations.

The problem is it's not the refurbers that are causing the delay, so it's hard to give them a hard time about it. I don't know how pushy they are being with the sub contractors though. I was preperared to wait it's a pretty recent technique for polishing and then sealing the rims, but it's getting silly now.

Yeah I guess. Did they tell you roughly how long it'd take? Even if it's not the refurbers holding it up they should choose who they use to sub contract stuff out to better, it's not your problem it's theirs and it's reflecting badly on them.

So you say they are in different pieces. Are other parts of the wheel refurbed already? If they are, you could either ask them to get the split rim back and send it to someone else they know or get them to get the rim back, leave it, and only pay for a portion of the work that they did (could be difficult). If none of the parts of the wheel have been refurbed you could just say right you've had enough time give me my wheels back end of story and i'll go somewhere else, or give them a final week to sort it and that's the deadline. I'm not sure what sort of reasonable comeback they could come up with it you said that. They must know that's far too long to have had your wheels.

Not sure what you're legal standing is I was just thinking out loud really.

Yeah I guess. Did they tell you roughly how long it'd take? Even if it's not the refurbers holding it up they should choose who they use to sub contract stuff out to better, it's not your problem it's theirs and it's reflecting badly on them.

So you say they are in different pieces. Are other parts of the wheel refurbed already? If they are, you could either ask them to get the split rim back and send it to someone else they know or get them to get the rim back, leave it, and only pay for a portion of the work that they did (could be difficult). If none of the parts of the wheel have been refurbed you could just say right you've had enough time give me my wheels back end of story and i'll go somewhere else, or give them a final week to sort it and that's the deadline. I'm not sure what sort of reasonable comeback they could come up with it you said that. They must know that's far too long to have had your wheels.

Not sure what you're legal standing is I was just thinking out loud really.

It’s just the rims that have been sent to the polishers. The centres haven't been sent as they were chrome so couldn't be polished. They have been sandblasted and painted with Le Mans silver - that part is complete.

They asked for a 50% deposit up front which I’ve paid them. I’m going to phone them up after a meeting I’m in at 10.00. I’m hoping they’ve been down to the polisher’s shop to see them face to face. I also hope they’ve completed the callipers too.

I’m hoping for some sort of discount on the job for the wait.

I’ll update when I’ve got off the phone in a bit.

• 3 weeks later...
I had the same sh!te when I had a pair done at Northampton, then eventually, after many lies and several months later, they wanted almost twice the price quoted!

That's ridiculous. What happened in the end?

The price here has been agreed, but I don't think I should be paying them the full price for the shocking service I've had.

Good luck mate, just read this thread and I feel for you. Bad service seems run of the mill now-a-days unfortunately.

My mates thinking of getting some wheels re-furbed at a place in Saltney, not the same firm by any chance?