The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which are best leather seats for our supra ?

Guest columbo

Guest columbo

hi fellas, am a new guy hear so bear with me if this is a stupid question :)

basically i have a 1997 RZ 6sp manual TT and the cloth recaro seats in are seriously gank looking :(

i was thinking about just finding a pair of leather seats from a UK model but am not so sure that i am even that keen on the shape of them....they look comfortable but not very wrap-around...if that makes any sense...lol

i do like the look of the seats in the new shape celica ( 1.8 vvti model )and was wondering if anybody has ever considered them as an option for their supra and how would i go about fitting them if i chose them....i presume i would need the runners they sit in from the celica also..? would this be a huge job and waste of time ?

or if anybody has a link to some similar seats i would much appreciate it.

thanks in advance :)

I'd flog the OEM ones and get some new Recaro Speeds as it would probably even work out cheaper than retrimming, and least you know the foam underneath is brand new and unworn as well as the upholstery. 350 for your OEM Recaros and less than 800 for new Recaro Speeds, brand new seats for £450. I'd be surprised if you could get a decent retrim including foam of both seats for less than £450.

Or, as you say, get Recaros from another car in decent condition for even less. I imagine they'd fit fine since you already have Recaro fitment rails.

Consider a retrim with alcantara centres instead of leather then you'll stay in your seat. I had a set of AAR semi-bucket seats in my 500bhp+ aristo and on sweeping 90+ bends on the circuit I slipped out and had to brace myself against the trans tunnel or the door to keep driving, I never had that issue with my re-trimmed alcantara centre seats and I drove that just as hard. The material of the seat makes a big difference to how you stay in it.

As per above. It would be almost disgracefull to dump the OEM Recaros. They are quite sought after. I would definatly get them retrimmed with leather and alcantara centres. Both look nice and much better on a hot summer day.

Also, I think you will notice quite a difference in lack of support by "downgrading" to standard seats.

Guest columbo

thanks fellas, ill have a think about these options...... not sure if there are any decent companies doing that kind of re-trim in Ireland...

I'm surprised the recaros are popular....nice shape but holy jesus........ green,red and blue stripes on a black cloth seats??? looks like sh1t to me ...

anyway looks like nobody here likes the idea of putting the celica seats into it , so i will see what other seats recaro have to offer.

thanks again.

Guest columbo
The stock pre-facelift seats are pretty comfortable.

marcAB10 on here had his retrimmed in red leather and they are awesome. Quality of them is second to none either! Done in Scotland :)

Check out his garage for pics :)

Thanks buddy, i'll take a look ! :)