The mkiv Supra Owners Club

strange noise? on my TT at low revs...

Benje1990

hey people,

yesterday my TT started making a strange sound at low revs 800-2500rpm..

basicaly its like the sound u get if your driving at lets say 30MPH and you stick it in 6th gear you get that sorta struggling vibration sound...

now i no the sound is not the engine as she runs sweet as a nut... the sound can also be heard and a standstill in nutral with the clutch released, if u dip the clutch and rev it you can hear this sound...

theres no power loss and she dont drive any diffrent its just a noise.

i use to own a MR2 turbo 18months ago and i had a similur sound on that turned out to be the prop shaft bolts vibrating them selfs lose..:S apprantly a common problem on them cars!?...

il have to get under her tomorrow after work but any ideas would be a great help.

i dont belive its the gearbox as she shifts like a beaut no nochyness or snaching,

so slightly puzzled, also feel its getting slightly worst. or i may just be noticing it more now lol.

cheers, sorry about spelling im tired long day lol ;)

**benje**

Hey guys been out at lunch with a friend!, can confirm its defo the gear box.... can also confirm its after the clutch and fly and more internal to the box,.

my friend who builds 800HP skylines, recomends first protocal should be to change the gear box fluid as the car has only been in the uk for 7 months and no record of the last change?,

he also said that these box's (6speed manual) Are Very strong and as my car is only running 360BHP it should be un damaged.

The box has 75k miles on it (yes miles).

any other input would be great guys cheers!

you can make it make the sound if u blip the thorttle on stand still makes the sound with the car in nutral stops if u depress the clutch!?...

car wasnt on a ramp we just head under car sorta thing...

He just came back around and said that one of his gear box rebuild guys refuses to belive this and said its way more likly to be the duel mass fly wheel...

hopefully it is the fly wheel but i didnt even no this car had a duel mass lol

Has the noise just started or have just got the car and it's like that?

A solid lightened flywheel transfers a lot of the gearbox noise and can make the car sound like a bag of hammers at tickover, when the clutch is pressed the noise will go. Also if the revs are raised above 1K rpm the sound from a solid flywheel usually goes.

If yours is still noisy at 2.5K rpm then I'd guess it's either clutch or bearing related.