The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake woes

Arbedark

Hi all,

So I've been having some problems with the front brakes on my Supra for the last couple of months. I noticed a slight squealing noise and after jacking it up to check the wheels the front drivers wheel was barely turning, and making a horrible noise while the others spun freely. As this coincided with moving house I was staying at my girlfriends for a couple of days before we moved into our own place. As such I was miles away and couldn't take it to my usual guy. I took it into a garage recommended by one of my girlfriends friends and found out that the front pads and discs were completely worn down.

Cue A-Team style montage and the pads and discs were changed and the squealing had stopped.

After a couple of days the car started to feel off. A quick inspection and the front driver side wheel was roasting hot. By this time we had moved into our new place, so hadn't found a new mechanic. After taking it to the local HiQ, they said that the front drivers caliper was stuck on. They freed it up and I've not noticed any issues for 3 weeks or so.

After a long trip I noticed that the car was feeling funny again. I got out the car and immediately noticed a horrible burning smell, which happend to be the brakes.

Took it back into the local HiQ today to get the calipers changed (as they were thought to be the issue). I've now been informed that the calipers appear to be fine and that the issue is most likely caused by a problem with the brake hoses or master cylinder (I'm not an expert).

Arranged that I'll get some brake hoses in to see if thats what causing the issue.

I've had a look online and found these: http://www.modworld.co.uk/toyota-supra-jza80-goodridge-braided-brake-hose-kit-2895-p.asp

Questions are:

1) Are these any good, and if not can anyone recommend some?

2) Does this sound like a problem with the hoses?

3) Does anyone have any idea if

Cheers for the help all.

Thanks for the replies guys! Really appreciate it.

I thought it was the caliper to start with, but the guy who looked at it today said that the calipers come free easily and aren't sticking on their own, hence the thought that it could be the hoses.

Good to know that this theory has some founding with jay5041's previous experience.

I'm now based in Redditch, so not too far from Chris, if this doesn't pan out I'll have a look at asking him to take a look.

The irritating thing is that I've got a set of UK Spec calipers, pads and discs back at my parents that Jurgen sourced when I bought the car, but due to only having 16" J-Spec wheels they can't be .

I think if it's a problem with the caliper It'll be more economical to just upgrade to 17/18's as I already have the other parts I need.

Does anyone have any advice on the hoses then?

I'd get some uk spec 17's on the car (think theres some in the forsale section) then fit the

uk brakes you have along with the braided hoses and do a brake fluid change.

Your problem could be a blocked return hole in the master cylinder, is the fluid really old ?

I see your in Redditch so not far from me, i use my local village garage in Earlswood for most of my supra servicing etc and their spot on, they've changed all my brakes, suspension, wishbones along with cambelt changes and the usual service work. i've known the owner for quite a long time.

Let me know if you want his number

I have Goodridge braided lines on my car and not had any issues, we fitted these with a complete new uk brake set up along with replacing all the brake fluid with Motul RBF 600 which is very good

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

A blocked return hole would leave more than one brake partly seized on. I suspect that the caliper sliders are seized. I stock new pins, O rings, a proper reamer for the bore holes, and the correct high temp grease. I can also remove the caliper pistons and check them out, along with the caliper bores if the sliders check out OK. Contact details in my sig if you want me to take a look. Cheers.

So everyone thinks its a problem with the calipers even though the mechanic says that they are working fine?

My initial thought was a problem with calipers but now 2 different garages haven't identified a problem with the calipers.

Where abouts in North Shropshire are you based Chris?

As for why not just getting 17's.

1) I've just had new tyres on the rear after finding they were completely bald.

2) I've just had new discs and pads on the front.

3) Insurance

4) Cash

If I need to get new calipers then I'll have to consider getting 17's, but if it's just a cheaper problem then I can leave off getting 17's for another year or so, which is when I planned to do the swap anyway.

Edit:

Just to clarify, I'm really not trying to be abrasive with the opening statement in this post, I am genuinely interested if sticking calipers could be missed by 2 garages easily.

Edited by Arbedark (see edit history)

Quick update for anyone who's interested.

Had the new Brake Hoses fitted today (Goodridge ones) and went for a quick 12 mile test drive, got it up to 100 leptons on private land and slowed it down through the gears, no heat or smell coming from the brakes after this.

So fingers crossed that the hoses have fixed it.