The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice On Front Lip and Active Spoiler..!!

Havard

Did a few little jobs on the car today but one of them didn't turn out as I expected.

The car has been sat outside for a few weeks and with the rain and whatever the stock front lip has developed a few stains from water dripping down the front. These didn't seem to rub out so I decided to get some "Back to black" type stuff from halfords and basically spruce up the lip.

The stuff was in an aerosol and I sprayed it on and the lip came up a lovely shiney black when wet. I wiped off the excess and the lip went white in the area I had sparayed it? Does anyone know why this happened?

I got my hands on some silicone wipes and gave the white area a good rubbing and the original stains and white area have now gone but it terrified me at the time as I thought I had ruined the lip.

I though back to black would just colour the bumper trim and not have an effect like that....:blink:

Anyway, gave the car a much needed clean and removed the wiper arms and sprayed them matt black. I'll give them another coat tomorrow and then we are pretty much ready for the Lille trip.:)

H.

It must of been some sort of reaction I guess. I use turtle wax platinum "black to black" and it works well. I don't need to use it every wash, sometimes I just use the turtle wax platinum "tyre dressing" over the spoiler which brings it up good.

I pinch the stuff out of work, i think it is made by Concept, it seems to bring it up will. I could 'borrow' some for you and send it down if you want.

Thanks Liam but I am ok for silicone type stuff. I just expected the Halfords back to black stuff to bring it up nicely. The plastic on the front lip and the active spoiler is a strange colour and isn't the same as typical bumper trim.

It must of been some sort of reaction I guess. I use turtle wax platinum "black to black" and it works well. I don't need to use it every wash, sometimes I just use the turtle wax platinum "tyre dressing" over the spoiler which brings it up good.

I have some tyre dressing stuff from Autoglym. The car now looks mint was I rubbed the spoiler with what are pretty much "dashboard" wipes.

I am taking the stuff back to Halfords tomorrow to get my money back. Not sure if it defective or if is just not suitable for the type of plastic on the Supra. I used the dashboard wipes around the window trims and the rubber around the windscreen and it has brought it up a treat. I just expect that in a few weeks it will be back the same again. The tray where the windscreen wipers are has also been sorted.

H.

Try Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber care, works a treat on that sort of plastic :)

just as slickster nick said the rubber care from Autoglym is the nutz.... back to black is 80's tattle really.

I think stonkin Uses this on rubber and door seals too. I use it on door rubbers and exterior black plastic. Good Product

Ok then.

Went to a local auto spares and got the Autoglym stuff as yours and their recommendation. Not used it yet as the lip and spoiler still look fine from yesterday. Took the stuff back to halfords and told them what had happened. Some young lad started reading the instructions and asked me if I was sure it had turned the bumper white. I said, yes. I followed the instructions and it ruined my bumper, would you like a bill for a new one or are you going to give me my £4.50 back?

5 mins later I had my cash....:D Never again. One thing I noticed was the difference in prices compared to my local spares shop. Got 3 new wiper blades for £22 this morning, the same set would have cost over £32 in Halfords....:blink:

H.

Havard, well done on keeping your integrity, most people would have tossed the rogue can into the bin.

We need people like you who live by correct moral virtues, keep fighting the fight :D

I love arguing in shops. My dad invented the sport of hunting down shop staff and complaining until they cave in and give you something free..!!

I recently haggled a £1 discount on a motorbike for a friend, he just woudnt budge on the price.

I told him I cant buy the bike without a discount of any kind, even just one pound, and that id feel cheated..

He gave her a chain + lock (really good one like £30 worth of chain and lock) new oil filter, chain lube and something else.. came to a fair whack!

I always ask "And why would you want a discount?" it stumps alot of people :)