The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Will a carbon bonnet withstand a 200mph run?

jevansio

I agree with the above comments! I've been next to another supra with a stock bonnet at 160 at that was a good 2 inches above the wings! TBH I've not seen a well fitting carbon bonnet mate so wouldn't like to take the chance. I've had a TRD carbon bonnet come up at about 30ish and that was bad enough! Catches are a must, without a doubt, infact i'd want a set in the middle too if that was possible!

You reckon the aero catches would be good enough to make it safe?

With having other carbon bits on the car now it's very easy to see that they are not as solid & strong as their steel counterparts, the doors and hatch don't get hit with the same force as the front so I'm a bit nervous of putting something on which may ultimately be a bad idea when aproaching 200

I have run flat out in my N/A with Jun carbon bonnet, obviously not 200mph, but there was no real lift proberbly due to vents

Pretty sure I'll be OK upto 60mph Rog, just kidding :p, I was actually going to say that do people think that a vented bonnet will help ie is the bulgeing caused by the air hitting the front or the air passing through the fmic & rad needing to escape the bay?

With having other carbon bits on the car now it's very easy to see that they are not as solid & strong as their steel counterparts, the doors and hatch don't get hit with the same force as the front so I'm a bit nervous of putting something on which may ultimately be a bad idea when aproaching 200

I think the aero catch would be enough if the bonnet is quality, could always get Noel to do one to keep the stock look, my arches are a Carbon/kevlar sandwich an are super strong.

I think the aero catch would be enough if the bonnet is quality, could always get Noel to do one to keep the stock look, my arches are a Carbon/kevlar sandwich an are super strong.

Aye I'm really wanting to keep the stock look, that is a good idea, so unsure on what to do with the bonnet, stock or vented :/

Clock speed was 155-160:p

The vent must help, especially if you have an engine undertray.

There is so much air being forced in the front and a very small area behind the undertray for it to escape, mine has an even bigger hole at the front as well with the Do-Luck 2 front bumper

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

No. If you want to do 200mph there is no way I would do it with a carbo or glass bonnet, my silver car at anything over 160 was terrifying, even the stock one at 200+ started coming up.

Any way of putting 4 aero catches on? Ie at the back aswell?

You could but the stock rear catches will be doing there job I reckon 2 aero catches on the front asual and 1 of these in the centre that bolts to your strut brace thats my plan anyway they come with a black lock aswell so hardly notice it http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3549/nrghoodpindcf.jpg