The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why would Hammmerite Paint not go rock hard

DodgyRog

I have started refurbing my Work alloys and used Hammerite. I sprayed one of them a couple of weekends ago and went to move the wheel out of the Conservatory and I have left a slight finger print in the paint

I find this really odd, surely they would be dry after 2 weeks, you can push your finger nail in quite easy

Could it be due to the Nitromors I used to strip the wheels, I gave them a wash afterwards, but maybe it was not enough

I didn't use a primer, but thought you didn't need to with Hammerite, thats why I used it and the fact it's supposed to dry so hard !?

Anyway any help with this would be grateful received as I have one Black wheel and want to push on with the other 3

Cheers Rog

i had this with hammerite once i think i put it on to thick and it wasnt warm enough it took ages to harden

That would make sense in this case as well

Since I did this one, I have found out that the best way to spray Hammerite is in thin dusting layers, but according to the side of the can it should only be left 15-20 mins between coats. Does this give a good result or should I be looking to leave the paint to dry properly between coats

ask evinX :D

he is our resident Hammerite king :)

I think its the properties in the paint (rust inhibitors etc)

I am sure he will see Hammerite in the title thread and cream himself:innocent:

I take it the paint will go hard eventually then or should I restrip the wheel I have done and start again