The mkiv Supra Owners Club

brake fade seriuos judder

mellonman

Hi all

done a track day taster yesturday at brands best fun ive had in the supra in a long time!

car handled like a dream was killing elise,911 turbo and rs4 round corners and on straights was very suprised how great it was as turnt down boost to 1 bar anyway

after about 4 hard laps and soon hard braking the brakes started to fade quite bad and had wobble through the steering wheel so i let off and cooled down for 3 laps and then had good feeling back in the brakes once cooled and then went for it again :D

can you prevent the fade and judder? is this the groved discs making the judder?

i have

groved discs

uk front and rear

cw fast road pads

braided lines

super dot 4 (not sure what that means)

would a cylinder stopper be of any use?

Guest BRIAJER

Track day pads rated to a higher temperature might be more benficial.

Your braided lines are meant to give you a firmer braking feel as they dont/flex/expand like rubber lines would.

A cylinder stopper would improve direct response of the brakes even more and may help maintain braking pressure reducing some vibration, not all.

Doesnt sound like your discs are warped at all if they come good once they cool down.

Could be an ABS issue when the brakes are red hot.

Your super dot 4 is the grade of brake fluid, good for high temperatures, 5 would be even better for track days, but more sensitive to water in the brake system/lines.

Track day pads like 'yellow stuff' or full race pads like 'blue stuff' would be the best place to start.

discs like the supras dont warp but they do gain deposites which give the judder, I had exactly the same in my supra i just drove through it then, every time they cooled down it went away again, (nurburgring and fast road)

(i was also getting this in normal driving when i went touring in the supra down hills with the car fully loaded . . big hils mind you like the alps)

once i had removed the backing plates this doubled the time befor the judder would occur (best mod for free) then i added cooling ducts this gave me another bit of time

(j spec calipers and discs)

just drive through it or buy a better set up theres a new set of k sports in the forsale section at the moment, or keron has a pair of uk spec fronts . . . a worth while upgrade for a track driven supra

now i have ls400 calipers but havnt tested them to their limit yet

i have

groved discs

uk front and rear

cw fast road pads

braided lines

super dot 4 (not sure what that means)

would a cylinder stopper be of any use?

just drive through it or buy a better set up theres a new set of k sports in the forsale section at the moment, or keron has a pair of uk spec fronts . . . a worth while upgrade for a track driven supra

now i have ls400 calipers but havnt tested them to their limit yet

;)

I think the fluid would be a definite good start, maybe get more track oriented pads than the fast road. A PM to Chris Wilson may be a good idea :)

Doesnt sound like your discs are warped at all if they come good once they cool down.

It does to me, well maybe. Expansion when hot contributing to the judder more.

Your super dot 4 is the grade of brake fluid, good for high temperatures, 5 would be even better for track days, but more sensitive to water in the brake system/lines.

You should NOT use DOT5, you should however use DOT5.1.

Track day pads like 'yellow stuff' or full race pads like 'blue stuff' would be the best place to start.

EBC don't make any good pads. Chris Wilson's (performance friction), or the Portfield pads Whifbitz sell are excellent IMO.

My fast road pads will survive mild track usage, but serious work will fade them, or you may get fluid boil, which is VERY nasty. You need a race spec pad, and to consider discs as consumables. A big heavy brute like a MKIV will give even UK spec brakes a very hard time on track. Performance Friction used to list race compound pads for the US / UK spec brakes, but have now stopped producing them. I tracked down a couple of old stock sets for wez a while ago, but a determined search of US sellers may find some more. I do my own race compound pads, too, but be prepared for LOTS of dust and noise, and they are about £290 a car set. You would need to use a race type brake fluid, which I also stock and sell.

Hi all

done a track day taster yesturday at brands best fun ive had in the supra in a long time!

car handled like a dream was killing elise,911 turbo and rs4 round corners and on straights was very suprised how great it was as turnt down boost to 1 bar anyway

Did they not flag you off? Every trackday I've been on forbade any overtaking on corners.

rob i was not over taking around corners but still catching them while going around the corners and over taking them on exit of corners and straights,

dont think i would risk over taking on a corner on a taster you just dont know what the other driver might do.