The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help! TRD front bumper

Supra Gaz

Ok, I am trying to decide what to do with my new black Supra, as soon as my silver one goes I am going to order a new bumper, a diffuser and a few other bits and bobs. So, I am looking at getting a TRD front, does anyone have any good images of a black TRD face on? Google came up with rubbush.

Also where can I get one from, an original (almost impossible and cost thoasands) or a good replica?

Cheers

Mine is in having one fitted at the moment

To have it fitted to standard wings is not a simple job if you want it to look right. The way it's constructed out of 2 pieces doesn't help matters, it certainly can be done, but it's going to be very expensive to get right unless you are happy for it to stick out or be bent out of shape, making it bow in at the wing edges and wider at the bottom. This would in turn defeat the reason I wanted one, to get the more subtle stockish curves back

My bodyshop really didn't fancy taking it on, they said it would be very labour intensive and costly, to the point off not being a decent option against cost. They were willing to give it a go, but I have gone down another route, which I am currently nervous about and hope works, just hoping it does not end up being an expensive odd mis-mash

If you look at the pics near the end of this thread, you can see the fitment issue against standard wings http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?235580-trd-widebody-front-bumper&highlight=trd

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

Knight racer can supply copy wings at quite a reasonable price. The ones they fitted to TRD-Robs car were a very good fit.. however, you will also need TRD skirts (or modify current skirts) as the lower part of the wing is swaged back to the lower door level. The first pic of Dnk's car shows it quite well, complex even when blended (which is not a great idea if it's a daily driver)

To add to Homers comments dont bend fibreglass out of its molded shape to make it fit

as it will crack over time.

MVP used to sell the whole kit (copy) ?

Didnt someone on here buy Knightracer copied TRD parts and they sent them back as they weren't er very good !

I've got a full MVP kit and yes it was a perfect fit. It virtually bolted straight onto the car without issues. Only the back bumper had to have the holes slightly elongated to slide on and off smoothly.

That aside they are quite expensive BUT, having an I'll fitting kit could cost you a world more to have it fitted at the bodyshop.

Unfortunately MVP don't sell separate panel IIRC so it would have to be a full kit or nothing.

It certainly does, did you get the kit from knight racer?

its a genuine TRD kit, fitting by TRD Technocraft

http://www.toyota-ttc.co.jp/english/trdasia.html

Forgot to add, the MVP kit is supposly made by the same company TRD outsoruce the manufacture to. I dont know how true it is but I remember seeing it somewhere

John(hodge) might know, looking through John's project thread of fitting his MVP kit, in comparison to mine it was near identicle wiht regards fitment/fixtures. I was surprsed to see his also had the ducting item as a seperate piece as in the TRD genuine kit; i presumed the replica's would just mould it to the bumper.

MVP is the closest match I have seen so far,I am sure John can comment on OEM quality of the kit. I cant comment on knightracer, have not seen any detailed pics of it unfitted

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)