The mkiv Supra Owners Club

cruising mpg ?

scoooby slayer

just a query as im new to supras.

ran home in the supra 3.4 stroker cruising all the way ranging from 60 - 75 mph 270 mile trip and i work it out to be 27 mpg i was doing, hows that sound in supra terms ?

im not bothered how much fuel it uses its 900 hp lol but its nice to know it is running properly.

Who gives a f**k? get that bad boy on boost:D

lol i will but first gotta plumb in some water cooling to the turbo, brand new t51 rr bb and no water cooling = another binned turbo, i think that is what causted the last failure personally. thank god its been run in and seen no boost since rebuild.

i have checked the turbo though its brand new tolerance end float, ive got banjos and pipework so just gotta pipe it up, also sounds like may have boost leak i need to check that to this weekend and lastly bleed up the brakes feel just like full of air.

and lastly wait for my f con navigator to turn up so i can check afrs at wot and make sure it goes no leaner than 11 at wot.

very happy with it though so far and cruise mpg proves either map is good at cruise or lambda is working correctly, im unsure if it runs closed loop ?

lol i will but first gotta plumb in some water cooling to the turbo, brand new t51 rr bb and no water cooling = another binned turbo, i think that is what causted the last failure personally. thank god its been run in and seen no boost since rebuild.

i have checked the turbo though its brand new tolerance end float, ive got banjos and pipework so just gotta pipe it up, also sounds like may have boost leak i need to check that to this weekend and lastly bleed up the brakes feel just like full of air.

and lastly wait for my f con navigator to turn up so i can check afrs at wot and make sure it goes no leaner than 11 at wot.

very happy with it though so far and cruise mpg proves either map is good at cruise or lambda is working correctly, im unsure if it runs closed loop ?

Blimey, for the money they was asking that car should have been spot on, surprised it left tdi with no water lines on the turbo, maybe the first turbo was journal?

Blimey, for the money they was asking that car should have been spot on, surprised it left tdi with no water lines on the turbo, maybe the first turbo was journal?

i was told it was changed like for like, and its unlikely tdi will remeber which it had on it id think as it was just over 2 years ago it left them. i knew there would be teething problems as its done no mileage since rebuild but im hoping as everything has been rebuild or brand new it should proove reliable.

one thing is for sure theres been a hell of alot of money ploughed into it, much more than i payed for it so im happy :)

just gotta check it all out, im a mechanic anyways so i gonna take a look starting this saturday, if it runs lean when coming on boost then it will have been on a journal originally and boosting later in which case i will ask ryan g to map it for me.

Edited by scoooby slayer (see edit history)

It was my understanding that water cooling is only there to assist cooling the dual bearing *after* the engine is turned off, it has next to no impact when running. So, provided the oil is cooled during the usual run down after hard boost it should be okay to run without the water cooling lines. At least this is what is explained on the Garrett 101 turbo FAQ. Personally I'd get them fitted anyway, but just wanted to mention this for discussion..

BTW, the MPG sounds quite good for a 3.4. I used to get about 28mpg on my old single on a steady cruise, much better than the stock or BPU setup :)

Also, not sure if this was answered already, it should run closed loop off boost.

i have just thought if it made 788 rwhp at 1.9 bar that must of been a bb t51 as the journal t51 is only rated at 900 engine flat out ? something happened mate as since it was at tdi last time when it had turbo, cams, valves etc it has only done 300 miles since then, the tdi rr printout shows mileage that matches mot mileage and it had only done 300 miles since rr run when i brought it. i was sceptical at first but it seems to add up that a journal bearing turbo wouldnt have failed with no water but a bb would, and it suffered major turbo failure 100 miles after leaving tdi. hopefully thats what caused the failure which will now be rectified and wont happen again. fingers crossed lol

It was my understanding that water cooling is only there to assist cooling the dual bearing *after* the engine is turned off, it has next to no impact when running. So, provided the oil is cooled during the usual run down after hard boost it should be okay to run without the water cooling lines. At least this is what is explained on the Garrett 101 turbo FAQ. Personally I'd get them fitted anyway, but just wanted to mention this for discussion..

BTW, the MPG sounds quite good for a 3.4. I used to get about 28mpg on my old single on a steady cruise, much better than the stock or BPU setup :)

Also, not sure if this was answered already, it should run closed loop off boost.

ball bearing turbos must run water cooling as they have to run an oil restrictor to reduce oil pressure and flow as the seals leak otherwise and oil escapes into the compressor housing or exhaust. journal bearing turbos dont need a restrictor so have a heavy volume of oil flowing through them.

bb turbos rely on water cooling due to lack of oil flowing through them, trust me never ever run a bb turbo without water cooling.

ball bearing turbos must run water cooling as they have to run an oil restrictor to reduce oil pressure and flow as the seals leak otherwise and oil escapes into the compressor housing or exhaust. journal bearing turbos dont need a restrictor so have a heavy volume of oil flowing through them.

bb turbos rely on water cooling due to lack of oil flowing through them, trust me never ever run a bb turbo without water cooling.

Makes sense :) I did wonder after reading the Garrett FAQ, but didn't give it too much thought (it was years ago!)