The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The best way to remove front suspension?

Parry_10

I have ordered a set of meister r coilovers now I know the rears are simple but with the fronts ive read up you have to remove the droplinks but ive also read up a few people havent and have managed to leave them on and use a big lever bar to get the leverage.

So im wondering what is the best way to do it as I dont want to damage my drop links

cheers

Anti roll bar links just bolt to the lower arm, 1 nut and 1 bolt. Unbolt that and spin it out of the way, then compress the suspension, fit some spring compressors, take out the lower bolt and 3 top mount nuts off, release pressure on the suspension, remove strut.

When I did this, I wrecked both anti role bar links and they were expensive to replace, all I do now is take some of the wheel trim off at the front of the arches and take the long bolt out of the top of the big "V" thing then the whole hub drops down, real easy to change suspension this way, as you can tell I'm not good with the proper names of any parts.

Just seen the name of the part in another thread "wishbone".

Edited by BOB B (see edit history)

There's no need for leverage, force or anything brutal once the top wishbone is free. On the LH side you need to loosen the washer bottle to give clearance.

I have to disagree there, even with the top wishbone off you still need leverage to push down in order to lever down the ARB. I guess you may be talking about when all 4 corners are off the deck though, I have only done it jacking up 1 side at a time (at the front). It still took a LOT of force (my 18st mate standing on the disc hub) to get the stock suspension clear.

I've changed my suspension a couple of times now and it has been a doddle due to the fact I already had lowered springs etc.