The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BHP and Torque figures?

wallis

Just going through some figures as im looking to upgrade my turbo to a GTX model.

Im starting to get a bit confused about the figures as the GTX is rated at upto 640bhp (prob race fuel) but not much more torque than my gt30r.

For example my small gt30r has given me 501bhp and 520ftlb at the fly wheel.

I see allot of other single cars with big bhp but not as high torque figures for example Ricky49 has a massive 758fwhp but only 609ftlb of torque, which is only 89ftlb of torque more than my set up?

Im told its the torque figures which are important, more than the bhp is this true?

My point being i guess is whats the point of gaining more bhp if the torque gains are not equal, and is it worth me upgrading for the costs and gains?

Jaime p has almost as much torque as bhp, so im guessing thats what we should aim for a good set up?

Any help would be great guys.

Edited by wallis (see edit history)

Dont get to hung up on it, every car is different and so are the numbers different dynos put out, you say Ricky "only" 609ftlb but that is a massive figure, compare it to what a V12 lambo lp640 puts out (480ftlb) and you will see what i mean.

If i was you i would get the car running right before you consider changing turbos, you might have what you already want, also to consider is your car not stock auto box? id not go over 500bhp myself with that setup.

Dont get to hung up on it, every car is different and so are the numbers different dynos put out, you say Ricky "only" 609ftlb but that is a massive figure, compare it to what a V12 lambo lp640 puts out (480ftlb) and you will see what i mean.

If i was you i would get the car running right before you consider changing turbos, you might have what you already want, also to consider is your car not stock auto box? id not go over 500bhp myself with that setup.

Cheers mr p,

Yeah im still with stock auto box, i think just because im going to have to pay for everthing again ecu and mapping wise, i thought now would be a good time to upgrade the turbo as well.

But yeah im sure when the cars set up and running normally again i prob do have what i want, plus i have more torque than a V12 lambo......lol

A Dyno measures torque and then calculates HP based on various other variables, some of these variables can be altered which in turn alters the HP calculation.

Yes torque is important, its what you feel, its the force propelling the car forward.

609Ibft poops me up still, I have over 500 Ib's at the wheels

I have been out in Jamies and its fooking unbelieveable, you know 800Ibft sounds fast but I couldnt focus as everything was flying by, god knows how JP keeps it on the road.

Mate my little 520lbft at the fly wheel sh1ts me up, so 609lbft must be insane , god knows what 800 must feel like!

Great results mate, well done on the build ;-)

A Dyno measures torque and then calculates HP based on various other variables, some of these variables can be altered which in turn alters the HP calculation.

Yes torque is important, its what you feel, its the force propelling the car forward.

Cheers fella, Im really happy with my results now for such a small turbo, im thinking a better ecu and remap will prob get me a few more horses anyway so wont bother with the gtx now.

For a heavy road car you want as much area under the power curve as you can get, which equates to a torquey engine. What you probably don't want is a power curve that does nothing until about 5000 RPM then goes up like a cliff until the engine can no linger breath at about 7250. Personally I think a GT30R is a wonderful turbo choice for a Supra road car, even if the power figures don't have the forum *WOW* factor :)

My gt30r starts spoiling at about 1500rpm and almost hits full boost by 3k and holds it right through the power curve, it's abit savage in lower gears but goes like a bull on steroids, when u can keep the power down....lol

Do you have a dyno graph of yours Matt? What rpm do you get positive boost?

Here u go nic, i get pos boost at about 1400-1500 revs it really does come on line early mate, hitting 1.5 bar by 3k.

I changed the hotside to a 1.06a/r and fitted hks 264 in/ex cams which really makes the small turbo hold its boost better through the power curve......well when the ecu doesnt decide to play up!

attachment.php?attachmentid=129720&d=1302031550

attachment.php?attachmentid=129721&d=1302031550

dyno-graph.jpg

dyno-graph-2.jpg

Edited by wallis (see edit history)

The hump is the stock ecu as I'm piggy backing with an fic spiking for what would be the second turbo kicking in.

Matt had a real challenge smoothing it out, but did an awesome job mapping it, really does piss me off my fic is faulty because it does drive so well, Its like stock but with loads more power!