The mkiv Supra Owners Club

When will the bad luck end!!!

wallis

As a few of u know, I went single with my car recently and I've had some really bad luck with things along the way!

The most recent is a slight misfire which has been driving me bonkers trying to sort!

Turns out its my new faulty aem fic ecu, after loads of research it appears they have had loads of problems with faulty resistors!

I will now need to send the unit at my cost to the states for them to diagnose too see if it's a faulty unit!

I've also bought almost £700 of aem gauges which are also all faulty!

Im pretty pissed of to say the least, I've paid for the install and mapping of the fic now I'm going to have to rip it all out including the gauges to send to them!!

Aem were once top notch, what's happened?

Im just going to get a new ecu now but I'm going to have to get my car back to afr and pay for a new ecu, install and mapping again!

When will this bad luck end I'm gutted :-(

When you stop using AEM stuff mate. They really are dog poo! There is a hell of a lot of bad stuff being said about them across the world. I've had an EMS go on me, the only other person I know that has one installed has had major issues with his. Michel recently had bother with resistors on his FIC. Its cheaper than the other alternatives for a reason I guess. Pay cheaper pay twice. FWIW the AEM wideband that was fitted to my car started playing up shortly after I sold it.

Whoever is mapping the car buy the ecu from the same person, there is no excuses then, if there is a problem they have to sort it.

Yeah, good point I bought everything from diff places!

I'm looking for a sec hand fcon now, I'm prob going to be setting myself up for another almighty foooke up....lol

Ive got an auto so which ever ecu i go for its only going to be used for ignition timing and fueling, the fcon uses all stock sensors and is piggybacked with the stock ecu for the autobox, same as a syvecs would but cheaper.

Ive got an auto so which ever ecu i go for its only going to be used for ignition timing and fueling, the fcon uses all stock sensors and is piggybacked with the stock ecu for the autobox, same as a syvecs would but cheaper.

Fair enough :thumbs:

Im just about to order new internals for a gtx3037r as well, if im paying for all this lot i might as well go for abit more power....lol

The new gtx30r is rated at 640bhp!

I'm not sure if you'd see 640hp, that'll be at high boost and probably with race fuel. I'd expect it to be good for 550+hp on normal fuel and safe boost levels. Have you considered the GTX35R instead?

I'm not sure if you'd see 640hp, that'll be at high boost and probably with race fuel. I'd expect it to be good for 550+hp on normal fuel and safe boost levels. Have you considered the GTX35R instead?

I could go bigger but im on a t3 flange so would have to change my manifold, the new gtx30r would be an easy swap!

Nic im still limited to a stock auto box as well so dont want to go silly....lol

I could go bigger but im on a t3 flange so would have to change my manifold, the new gtx30r would be an easy swap!

Nic im still limited to a stock auto box as well so dont want to go silly....lol

You can fit a T3 housing on a GTX35R, you could buy the GTX turbo minus the turbine housing and use your existing housing.

Yes the auto box will be the limiting factor.

What's the GT30R like to drive with?

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Boost and egt gauge just constantly cycle through the colour range every 2 sec from red to blue to green to pink to brown so on so forth through about 10 diff colours......sends me divvy at night when they wont stay blue!

The afr gauge backlight doesnt work at all, it seems like there cheap wank gauges when they were actually really exspensive!

Aem are poo it seems.

You can fit a T3 housing on a GTX35R, you could buy the GTX turbo minus the turbine housing and use your existing housing.

Yes the auto box will be the limiting factor.

I didnt know that nic cheers mate, that was my paln for the gtx30 but a gtx35 would be very nice :-)

Sound advice that!;)

Its great advise but in the real world not many places suppy brand new fcons fitted and mapped and its a case of affordability for me, ill defo be getting a second hand one.

If i could afford it i would love to get a new syvecs supplied fitted and mapped!

Its great advise but in the real world not many places suppy brand new fcons fitted and mapped and its a case of affordability for me, ill defo be getting a second hand one.

If i could afford it i would love to get a new syvecs supplied fitted and mapped!

Have you looked at Link, then? They will do what you need. The Link G4, or something along those lines? There's more than AEM and Syvecs around :)

Have you looked at Link, then? They will do what you need. The Link G4, or something along those lines? There's more than AEM and Syvecs around :)

Matts mentioned the G4, there a good price too but hes on holiday untill next week so wll speak to him them.

I was just thinking the fcon is a solid bit of kit and upto the job really, but im up for anything that works.......lol